Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been following this site for a while and have always wanted a Luger to add to my collection. I have really taken an interest in older firearms here lately and purchased my first Luger. Just thought I would say hello and share a few pictures of my first Luger. Would like some opinions on if you think it is the original finish or not? I am already looking at buying some other ones. I think this hobby could be addictive, lol!

·
Premium Member
3,690 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum! Your Luger is a real beauty. I have one from the same year. Now you need to find a 1936 dated holster. BTW, I think your finish is original...Bill

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see nothing to suggest that the finish is anything but original.

An all matching - including the magazine -1936 Mauser Luger is a great way to begin a Luger collection. While it shows a small amount of honest use, it's really a very nice example.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Nothing like knocking it out of the park with your first purchase! Wrong era for me 😊 but that doesn't diminish the quality of the piece. Well done! "I think this hobby could be addictive"...I think you have just illuminated the obvious, welcome aboard. (Just for grins you might take a peek as some of the earlier models)
Ron

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pre-war Mauser guns from 1935-37 are considered among the highest quality Luger builds, your gun looks to have some honest wear but original finish is great condition. One heck of a first Luger. Welcome to the forum and congrats!

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,149 Posts
The finish looks OK but unfortunately the magazine appears to have been renumbered to match the gun.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
A very nice matched 1936 !
I'm not sure about the magazine, as I believe the little eagle on the base should be a Droop Wing eagle, and that's a Straight Wing eagle. This magazine eagle/numeral should match in both number and wing style with the inspector/acceptance marks on the right side of the barrel extension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!! I am really excited with it and to hear that it looks to be the original finish. I also appreciate the comments about the magazine not matching, that’s what I like about this forum is that there are some really knowledgeable collectors out there. Really helps out someone like me that is new to the hobby so I will know what to be on the lookout for next time.
Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!! I am really excited with it and to hear that it looks to be the original finish. I also appreciate the comments about the magazine not matching, that’s what I like about this forum is that there are some really knowledgeable collectors out there. Really helps out someone like me that is new to the hobby so I will know what to be on the lookout for next time. Thanks, Andy
Andy, one more bit of friendly advice, if I may. Buy BOOKS!! There are some very good basic references that are not expensive such as John Walter's "THE LUGER STORY" and more specialized tomes on Police Lugers, Dutch Lugers, Imperial, Weimar and Nazi Lugers that cost more. One of the more expensive is Gortz & Sturgess' "THE BORCHEART & LUGER AUTOMATIC PISTOLS" but may be the best reference overall. It costs $300, is in 3 volumes and includes a DVD containing everything in the printed books. Until you have more knowledge, it can be a daunting reference.

Reading the FAQ posts and daily threads on this forum and books can keep you from making costly mistakes. Money spent to educate yourself will reward you in the end.

·
2,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do recommend studying Lugers before buying them. The best book is Sturgess' mentioned above, and it's worth every penny. One of the best researched books ever published in any field, much less firearms.

Download our FAQ PDF document. You'll also find it useful:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recommendations, I purchased the Luger story and will be on the lookout for the sturgess book.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A good book to get a quick overall idea of different Lugers out there is Charles Kenyon's Lugers at Random. It's an older book and some of the info is dated but it's a great place to start. It's also much less expensive than the Gortz-Sturgess 3-vol set and less intimidating to a beginner. This was my first Luger book. I passed on my copy to a younger budding collector then had to get another because my book collection felt incomplete without it!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice '36 Mauser S/42...your recent acquisition looks kosher and legitimate to me...all except the magazine...but I wouldn't fret too much on that aspect...

The magazine base should have the Droop Eagle stamp (D/E) on it, not the Stick Eagle stamp (S/E) ...that stamp is for later examples...

The 1936 Mauser is considered by many collectors to be the finest build of all the Lugers by Mauser during the Third Reich Nazi-era in Germany...and I concur...have two pristine examples myself...Congratulations...keep her clean and oiled...; ) ...

Edward

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well done for the first.......I am fussy about the bores.....what is the condition of this one.?? I sent you a 'conversation' (PM).

PJH

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Mauser's Lugers were all well made. Their P.38s had many coarse samples, but their wartime Lugers were different, all well made. Prewar were even better.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....for your first Luger you did well. and by first I mean it won't be your last! LOL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Would like some opinions on if you think it is the original finish or not?
That is a beautiful looking pistol. From here, the finish looks great and totally original. The only question I have is regarding the serial number on the barrel. It is common for barrel serial numbers to have a "halo" around them. Evidently, it's because the serial number was stamped into the barrel AFTER it had been blued, and thus caused what is known as a "halo."

Do you guys see this? Maybe the "halo" only applies to certain years of Lugers, I can't quite remember. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
That is a beautiful looking pistol. From here, the finish looks great and totally original. The only question I have is regarding the serial number on the barrel. It is common for barrel serial numbers to have a "halo" around them. Evidently, it's because the serial number was stamped into the barrel AFTER it had been blued, and thus caused what is known as a "halo." Do you guys see this? Maybe the "halo" only applies to certain years of Lugers, I can't quite remember. Thoughts?
I've read that Mauser, unlike DWM and Erfurt, stamped the serial numbers prior to bluing. Therefore the halo often seen on Imperial Lugers will not be seen on Mausers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts