Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
The halos on Third Reich Lugers, by Mauser Werke, will be seen on the bottom of the barrels, until about the third month of 1937...when the pistols went from being rust blued, to hot salt blued, thus beginning with the 1937 Mauser S/42 code 2nd. variation, also called "transitional"... this is when the "halos" 馃槆 disappeared until the end of Luger manufacturing in 1942...The halos on the barrel serial number appear to be very light...a halo is most evident around the #2 numeral though...

Edward

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you all for the comments! I have downloaded the FAQ document and have two books on the way. Didn鈥檛 realize there was so much information out there about Lugers. Look forward to following this forum and already gathering some funds to purchase another Luger.

Registered
That is a beautiful looking pistol. From here, the finish looks great and totally original. The only question I have is regarding the serial number on the barrel. It is common for barrel serial numbers to have a "halo" around them. Evidently, it's because the serial number was stamped into the barrel AFTER it had been blued, and thus caused what is known as a "halo."

Do you guys see this? Maybe the "halo" only applies to certain years of Lugers, I can't quite remember. Thoughts?
I had the same thought. I have owned several '36 P 08s and all had distinct halos on the barrel serial. However several of the photos here are consistent with original finish so my view on this one is, I don't know if it is original finish or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Here are some more pics of the barrel numbers. I am thinking when I look at it I don鈥檛 see any halos either. I have looked at some pictures of other 1936 models and have been able to see halos.

Gld Bullet Member 2012
Not sure why so many folks are so convinced this Luger is original finish. The front gripstrap shows obvious signs of having the bluing touched up or messed with. Blow it up and look close - that is not what original finish looks like, nor does it look like normal wear (or else there are bizarre artifacts in the photo - hard to say with digital cameras). Halos may not photograph well, but you will definitely see them under a mag light. I personally would not buy a strawed Luger that didn't have a halo on it somewhere.

BTW, the toggle axle retaining pin on early Mausers is often blued, not white (I've seen both on original guns).

5F6CF883-46B5-4219-A819-1A1BB2C5985E.jpeg

Registered
Looks like some buffing has been done to it. Lot of squared off portions that are normally a bit more rounded. There鈥檚 some things that don鈥檛 look right on that sideplate. Some wheel gauges and markings going on. It鈥檚 just looks buffed in certain places where problem areas probably were. Still a very nice first P.08 for a first purchase.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts