Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting my first luger. I want it to be a shooter; not a collectors piece. I prefer no rust/pitting and matching numbers, but wouldn't necessarily say no to one that had ben re-blued or had import marks if they are small. I'm looking at $400-$500 dollars. Is this reasonable? Where would be the best place to obtain one, as the dealers/gun shows in Wyoming suck.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
11,109 Posts
Jetteraf, Congratulations on getting the Luger bug! I believe the price range you are trying for is a tad low, even for a shooter. Lugers in this catagory usually bring $500 and up and if one can be had for $500 it would be a good buy. I would guess you are looking at more like $600 and up from my experience looking at many auction sites etc.

You might try an ad in your local paper asking for German pistols or a Luger specifically. You never know.

There are several dealers in the nation and you can google search them. Bessler, Tom Heller, Simpson in ILL. Tom Heller is a good first try for what you want as most dealers have collector pistols.

You might also want to put an ad in the trader board and see what other members might have.

[email protected]

Good luck! Jerry Burney

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If shooters usually start at $600, would I be better off just getting a nicer gun? I've seen some online for $700-$800 that looked somewhat better than what I would consider a "shooter," but not so nice that you wouldn't want to shoot them. I've been doing a little research, and think that I would prefer an imperial luger over a later manufacture- does that have any impact on price/condition/availability?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Jerry's suggestions for dealers is sound. My shooter cost me right around a thousand but it is a matching numbered 1915 reworked by the Police and recently refinished by an excellent workman (Thor)and has a matching Weimar police holster and 1 matching magazine. The Weimar era reworks are sometimes available in you upper price range when they have a few dings and scratches. You might also consider some of the Russian and East German reworks of Imperial era pistols which can have 60 or 70 years of history behind them for instance WWI, Weimar Police, WWII, East German (VOPO) police.

good hunting

·
Administrator
15,084 Posts
Overall it seems that WW2 era guns go for a bit more than some other eras.

But, a shooter will go up in value, but much slower than a collector piece. If you damage a collector piece, and depending on what part is damaged, the value can drop, anywhere from very little (chip out of a grip) to a lot!

Overall, if you look long enough, you will find a shooter for less than $600, but it is getting harder to find.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.