Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I have just purchased my first Luger, and did so rather blindly as I started looking only a week or so ago after deciding not to get one from SOG. I figured for the $700 I paid it was bound to be at least as good as the ones they are selling that I have been reading about.
I don't actually have the pistol yet, but following is the information and pictures that the seller provided me.
Would apriciate any comments about it's history and value until I can figure out a good referance book to get.
I am mostly a collector but also wanted somewhat of a shooter.
Thanks,
Rob

From the Seller:
1916 dated military issue Luger in 9mm not import marked. I believe it has all original parts and is matching. The numbers 82 can be found on the following locations: breech block, extractor, grips, receiver, side plate, takedown lever and toggle. The full number is on the front of the frame and barrel along with the bore 8,82. 1916 is stamped on the receiver and the correct military proofs on the side of the receiver. It seems to be fully functional. It has strong springs. However I have not shot it so I don’t know how well it will shoot. Grips are original and in good shape for the age and are numbered to the gun. Straw colors are where they are supposed to be and in good shape. It has the shoulder stock lug. The takedown lever has some small dents in it and the front sight might have been adjusted. Bore looks good to me but I am not an expert. Mag is FXO and P08 marked. Holster is the holster it came from Germany in. I bought this from a friend who told me he was selling it for his 83 year old German neighbor lady. Her second husband (she outlived 3 of them) brought this pistol with him after WW2. He was in the Hitler youth, at the end of the war, and he brought it with him to America. Interesting story I thought I would pass it on. I can’t say it is true or not. The pistol appears to be all correct so it does not add or take away from the truth of the story so who knows. In any event a nice piece of history. This pistol seems to function perfectly. It passes the pencil shot out of the barrel test. I have not shot it.

Download Attachment: pix3990227046.jpg
17.5 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990227500.jpg
48.36 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990227937.jpg
30.36 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990228156.jpg
50.15 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990323312.jpg
29.14 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990323593.jpg
30.82 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990323828.jpg
22.05 KB

Download Attachment: pix3990324062.jpg
38.56 KB

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Hi Rob, Welcome to the forum. From the photos, it looks like you have a pretty nice 1916 DWM. The holster is a softshell, I think for a P.35 FN/Browning Hi-Power. This is not to say that it was'nt issued with the pistol. It's just not a Luger holster. If he was in the Hitler Youth? They were armed with whatever could be scrounged up for a last ditch defense of Germany at the end. It's very possible that the holster was issued with the pistol.

However, it's hard to believe that he was allowed to retain the pistol by the Allies after Germany fell. Unless he hid it someplace, before it was captured or he surrendered.

In my opinion, I think you got a good deal at $700.No matter what the war story is. The holster is probably worth $75-$100 alone.

Congratulations, Ron

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hello Rob,

I'd say you got a deal. This appears to be an honest, if somewhat worn, 1916 DWM. The magazine, as you know is WW-II vintage. If it is truly all matching (except magazine) it would be collectable; or, if you prefer, a good candidate for a Thor refinish and use as a shooter.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Rob.... Let me add my WELCOME and also congratulation on the choice you made. The SOG guns that have been posted on this board have been a tad nasty and yours looks like a nice honest gun. Ya done good....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guy's are great!
Thanks for all your comments. I should receive the gun later in the week and would like to post some more pictures after I get a good look at it.
Someone has offered to trade me for a "more correct" WWI wood base mag for the one that comes with the gun and then I have to decide if I must find a proper pistol to go with that holster:)
Of course then I will have to find an old Luger holster.... This may never end, I may have to sale one of my M1's?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
6,169 Posts
Rob....... You might want to consider posting the full serial number with suffix on the board before you do the mag trade. That is a fair trade to make but the idea is to get as close to your gun as possible. You might even get lucky and find one that matches..... I suspect there are several inmates who would do that kind of trade.

Just a thought.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.