Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased my first luger after over 30 years of wanting. I know next to nothing so I need lots of help with identifing and understanding everything that's on it. It seems to be in pretty good shape. It has plastic grips. All the parts have the same serial number including the clip which also has the number 1 below the serial number. The top of the chamber has a G stamped on it and the toggle has 42. The bottom of the barrel has the serial number and just below that the numbers 8,82. The right side of the pistol just above the grip has P 08 SARCO STIRLG???J 9MM GERMANY (the ?? are letters or number I can't make out. I don't know if it's two or three characters). The right side of the chamber has three emblems on it two look like birds or eagles with numbers below them. 63 63 I think. They're hard to see. The third looks like an upside down fan. I would love to know about when it was made and whether it was millitary, police or comercial.

Thanks
Bob

·
Administrator
15,542 Posts
Hello bob and welcome to the forum. This is an import, which lowers the value, but still makes a nice rp piece and probably a nice shooter!

Being a G date, it was made in 1935, it is probably military, but we'd need clear pictures of each side, the top, front of the frame, etc to give you reliable feedback. Please provide the full serial number, to include the suffix letter under it.

The 8,82 is a land to land size and was required on lugers, it might fluctuate from 8,80 to 8,86.

See this posting for info that you will probably be interested in:

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4244

and

http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1451

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. The serial number is 8310. No other numbers except on the clip. On that the number 1 is below the serial number. I uploaded pictures on a separate posting ... here they are again. I think I'm getting the hang of this.
Thanks again,
Bob

Download Attachment: Luger1.JPG
168.9KB

Download Attachment: Luger2.JPG
179.19KB

Download Attachment: Luger3.JPG
217.04KB

Download Attachment: Luger4.JPG
56.61KB

Download Attachment: Luger5.JPG
118.6KB

Download Attachment: Luger6.JPG
191.46KB

·
Administrator
15,542 Posts
I meant to say rep piece, as in represenitive piece. It was imported by Sarco, i.e. the sarco is from the company who imported the gun.

First it was a gun made in 1935 for the early nazi's, then after ww2 it was taken by the East Germans and used by the police. At some point it came to the US by Sarco.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed. You have been very helpful. I guess that explains the plastic grips on a 1935. The guy who sold it to me said it was authentic WII. Like I said I know next to nothing. I'll do my homework next time. I'm still very happy to have it. Thanks again for all the help.
Bob

·
Administrator
15,542 Posts
bob, it is authentic WW2, it just served a longer life serving the motherland. There are some collectors who frown on these "import" east german (there are also russian captured that came to america around the same time period). I believe they are part of the history of the gun, and should have collector value also.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Hi,

If this is a so-called VoPo (volkspolizei - DDR) version, it's kind of special for it to have retained the original barrel. VoPo replacement barrels only show a crown-N proof and no barrel diameter or serial number.

The magazines: Do they have markings on the tube with a 1001 number or ar they marked on the tube in another way?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please don't get me wrong I love this pistol. I shot it today and had problems with the feed. I found out that the magazine is loose so the rounds jam up. If I push the clip up tight it does great. It looks like the original butt of the magazine was pinned to a new tube and who ever did it didn't do a good job. (no Vlim there are no markings on the tube but thanks for the other info). I guess my next purchase will be a better or original magazine. Any ideas where to look?

Again I'm very very satisfied with my Frankenstein. I wouldn't sell or trade her for the world. I can't wait to get another.

Thanks Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Hi,

The magazine not fitting snugly into the grip usually is the result of wear on either the notch in the magazine or the magazine release catch of the pistol (or both). Check the magazine to see if the notch (about 1/3 up the magazine at the corner) is worn down.

Good replacement shooting magazines are Mec-Gar magazines. And I wouldn't call yours a 'frankenstein'. It's most probably still in it's original configuration, just overhauled. I like VoPo's and also have the 1966 DDR manual which shows the 'VoPo' version.

Download Attachment: VOPO-01_small.jpg
57.21KB

I have a VoPo that is made up of parts from between 1914 and 1951 and saw action in WW1, 2 and the cold one :). Now that's a frankenluger :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Vlim for the info. The manual is nice wish I had one. I have checked the magazine and the notch seems to be fine. No wear that I can see. I really can't tell about the magazine release catch. It looks good to me but I wouldn't know a good from a bad. No obvious wear. I'll try to find Mec-Gar Magazines. I like my VoPo also. Thanks again for the info.

No henry I got her at a gun show in Ft Meyers, Fla.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Hi,

The manuals regularly appear on Ebay Germany. The title of the book is 'Kleine Waffenkunde', blue cover. It also covers the rest of the then-DDR arsenal, like the Walther PPK-clone, the 'Pistole 1001', the Tokarev, AK47 and assorted material. The introduction section about us 'Western imperialists' is very entertaining :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.