Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is a new gun to me I am wondering if there is anything I should do to prepare for the first time on the range. My local gun shop, where I purchased, is pretty good about checking out their weapons but I can't assume really anything about shoot-ability I have handled the gun and magazine and worked the action (which seems very stiff). I am cautious enough that I intend to load only one cartridge at a time at first just to see about ejection and feeding.
I have viewed YouTube about field stripping. Do I need a Luger tool?
thanks again for advise

btw is there a good way or technique to chamber a round with older and weaker hands?
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
2,554 Posts
Hold the pistol with your right hand and pull the toggle back with your left hand and then release it. Try it several times until you feel comfortable with the process. You do not need a loading tool except to place bullets in the magazine (it just makes it easier to insert the bullets) or take the grips off.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
bullets in the magazine (it just makes it easier to insert the bullets) or take the grips off. ALERT! Use cartridges instead of bullets! :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hold the pistol with your right hand and pull the toggle back with your left hand and then release it. Try it several times until you feel comfortable with the process. You do not need a loading tool except to place bullets in the magazine (it just makes it easier to insert the bullets) or take the grips off.

with other semi autos I use the over the top method, holding gun close to mid section with left hand bracing the rack and right hand pushing or punching to the left. this allows multiple fingers to hold the slide and dominant ( I am a righty) hand to push through.
from web site description: "PUSHING the gun forward with your strong hand, rather than PULLING the slide backward with your support hand."

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You may also open the action on an empty magazine which will lock the toggles back. Remove the magazine, load the magazine and re-insert it. Then simply grasp the toggles, pull back and release. That will load the first cartridge into the chamber and it will be ready to fire.

With the action open and magazine removed, it shows that your Luger is empty and safe if there are others on the range. It's the same as locking the slide back on a 1911 or other semi-auto to let people know it's safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may also open the action on an empty magazine which will lock the toggles back. Remove the magazine, load the magazine and re-insert it. Then simply grasp the toggles, pull back and release. That will load the first cartridge into the chamber and it will be ready to fire.

With the action open and magazine removed, it shows that your Luger is empty and safe if there are others on the range. It's the same as locking the slide back on a 1911 or other semi-auto to let people know it's safe.
thank you
good tip I have a lot to learn
cheers

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
Jim, Yes! So true..We all have memories and sayings from our past that are comfortable. Bullets is a good example. Clip is another. Guy could likely make a long list if you thought about it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ve found that a cloth buffer for my thumb can help pull down the magazine spring somewhat if you don’t have a loading tool . I found the trigger release so far back that it causes me to feel it takes more pressure before releasing the trigger. I developed a slight curving to the end of the trigger bar that is attached to the trigger plate or side plate. You can or someone could solder a little tip to raise that up and take the play out and it seems to reduce the pounds it takes to release the trigger by almost half and add to your accuracy. I put a three round shot group at 25 yards the size of a quarter with a Luger. I’m older now so probably not anymore 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts