Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks Anthony for answer!
i understood that parts not interchangeable
the second question is may be this parts from 1899?
does trigger bar spring of 1899 shorter than 1900?
does diameter of safety 1899 biggest than 1900?
Does Magazine catch of 1899 longer than 1900?

May be anybody have possibility to take measurements this 3 parts?
thanks

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Can somebody who has a Model 1899 help Aladin with measurements? I am not in a position with a heavy workload to find him this data... Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Safety levers are nearly identical in size, with the 1899 about .2mm wider. The lengths are identical at 16.2mm. Magazine catch on 1899 has rounded corners, but otherwise appears the same width--I can't get a caliper in there to measure it--they appear to protrude from the gun by the same amount. The magazine release levers are the same length inside the magazine well. The magazines are identical. I can't say about the trigger bar spring, as I am not willing to disassemble either gun, but they look identical when I shine a light down the magazine well.

See also:
Comparing the 1899 and 1900 Browning

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Thank you so much for providing this info. I never made an analysis of how and what could transfer from one model to another. I have a FN memo that references part numbers that do and others that don't but that has not been useful. I hope that this answered Aladin's question.

Thanks again
Anthony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gents,
This is one of my FNs - 1900.
A wish to identify prod. year led me here. From what I've learned, slide's writting pattern and SN 435037 would suggest it is from around 1907. But there's an odd thing - writting says FAB-NAT-HER-BELGIQUE and probably all pieces I ever saw has LIEGE there. Anything on that?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does any database show the latest SN of a Model 1899? Were there 'transitional' model before the adopted/final 1900? Like with a short reinforced frame area above trigger guard, but with fire/safe markings and 5 grip grooves vs 6?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
My book does and, no, there is no transitional model. I reported for long the use of the Model 1900 safety lever on the Model 1899 but those ended up being replacement parts. Are you actually referring to a specific pistol/serial number?

Anthony

Reactions: kotkinjs1

·
Registered
16 Posts
My book does and, no, there is no transitional model. I reported for long the use of the Model 1900 safety lever on the Model 1899 but those ended up being replacement parts. Are you actually referring to a specific pistol/serial number?

Anthony

SN is a very high 69854, all matching. Seems to have a few aspects of both: the 5 lined slide grip, the shape of the rear of the frame, later safety lever, obviously the short frame reinforcement, old style grips, safe/fire lettering, lanyard loop.

Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Office equipment Gas Gadget Machine Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
What you have is very rare. I have documented two others and would love to have this in my upcoming book except that the Model 1899 chapter is completed. I have a place on one page I could insert this if interested.

This is not a transition piece as much as a "oops, we just found some old parts and we better use them" piece. IOW this was assembled long after the Model 1899 production ended and was assembled to some degree in the style of the Model 1900 with Model 1900 grips, lanyard and safety markings... It does not have a Model 1899 serial number but a Model 1900 serial number!

Contact me if you are interested in having this featured.
Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone. Im new to the group. I just picked up this 1900 from a friend of mine. Can anyone give me some more info and history in this piece? She's a little rough but I was surprised to know how old this gun is. Thanks in advance.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yours has a rich and very long history. Details will be in my third edition of FN Browning Pistols.

Issued and used by the Belgian military, likely captured by Germans in WWI. Ended up on the surplus market (1919-1920s) where it was acquired by Norway and put in service as a police pistol. Still in use after WWII and marked as part of reorganization. I have information on all these Norwegian issues.

Ignore the condition, this has great history.

Anthony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yours has a rich and very long history. Details will be in my third edition of FN Browning Pistols.

Issued and used by the Belgian military, likely captured by Germans in WWI. Ended up on the surplus market (1919-1920s) where it was acquired by Norway and put in service as a police pistol. Still in use after WWII and marked as part of reorganization. I have information on all these Norwegian issues.

Ignore the condition, this has great history.

Anthony
Thank you Anthony

121 - 133 of 133 Posts