Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FN 1910 – DUTCH “D.v.F.” CONTRACT

FN 1910 – DUTCH “D.v.F.” CONTRACT

Credit must be given to Anthony Vanderlinden. The info provided here is captured from his most interesting book, “FN Browning Pistols” (2009), page 206.

The SN “1164” pistol depicted here is 1 of (only) 400 FN 1910 pistols ordered by the Dutch Ministry of Finances (Departement van Financien : “D.v.F.”) in November 1937. They were numbered from 1101 to 1500, and marked “1938” for their delivery date. The elimination of the current FN production serial number had been requested by the client. This 1938 series consisted of a 2nd D.v.F. contract with Browning.

Vanderlinden reports only one other 1938 specimen, which is “1368”. This “1164” item would therefore be the second specimen to be reported. Hopefully, the author will be made aware of the input for his database (?)

The first D.v.F. contract in 1936 was for 600 7.65 FN pistols, numbered from 501 to 1100. At that time, pistols retained their current Belgian SN. According to Vanderlinden, only five (5) have been reported or observed: 635, 712, 860, 1009 and 1052. After the war, instead of 1910s, FN 1922s were ordered, of which seven (7) have been tabulated.

Unlike standard production, Dutch contract FN pistols were built with a lanyard ring and raised sights. Subject pistols have been used by plain-clothes duty inspectors as well as Dutch customs.

I have acquired this pistol in Dec 09, as a legacy from a gunsmith who lived and died in New Brunswick, Canada. The pistol included two magazines and was delivered to me in an old Browning cardboard red box designed to hold it tight.

That’s it for now. Any other info is most welcome, as sharing with collectors is always a pleasure.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Bruno,

I'm glad you got this one.
Very rare variation indeed! Congratulations! I'm glad for you.
I'm waiting for my copy of Vanderlinden's book, it is a must for anyone interested on FN pistols.

Douglas.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hi Bruno,

Congratulations for such a rare bird!

The first D.v.F. contract in 1936 was for 600 7.65 FN pistols, numbered from 501 to 1100.
I don’t know, if Vanderlinden contains an explanation for the reason, why the DvF began to number their first FNs with number 501. The reason is: before the DvF made the FN contract, they ordered 500 pistols from J. P. Sauer & Sohn. These Sauer model 29 pistols (differing in some details from the Sauer model 1930) have the normal Sauer SN plus an DvF inventory number, running from 1 to 500.

Shown here is one of these 500: SN 191017, DvF number 197 present on three places (frame, slide and screw cap).

Like the DvF FNs the DvF Sauers are very rare: currently, four are known to exist.

BTW: I guess, it will be easier to find the Dutch pistols in Canada than in Europe, due to the fact, that Canadian troops liberated the Netherlands.

Regards

Martin

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rare birds

Martin,
Vanderlinden wrote “The contract serialization began with 501, to complement pistols already in inventory.” He does not specify the first 500 had been ordered from J. P. Sauer & Sohn. I am happy to learn about this missing information! Congratulations too, for your exotic bird.

Fritz,
According to Vanderlinden’s data, your DvF 578 would be the oldest known in the 1936 series :) now 6 pistols instead of 5 reported by the author). Too bad for the rework and reblue, but rareness remains the main factor in any case, at least from my candid point of view.

Thank you to both of you for your input.
Bruno

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3rd "1938" reported...

Hi Bob,

Great! Over a total of 400 procured for this 1938 variation, no doubt it is rare, but to what extent, I am not sure. It would be nice if you could post pictures of your pistol, to compare with mine. Regards,

Bruno

·
Administrator
15,257 Posts
I have Browning 1938 DvF serial 1330 can someone tell me more about it,and how rare it is?
Hello, I deleted the other quote, because I felt it was confusing. I think your question is answered by reading the postings above.

Can you provide pictures (posted here on the forum) of your example?

Thanks,

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bruno, that is a very nice and desirable pistol indeed. I too have Vanderlindens book and it is a very, very good book indeed. You mentioned in your post that you hope the author is made aware of your pistols info for his database, why don't you just let him know yourself! After reading his book I wanted to get in touch with him to give him the specifics on two M1922 pistols that I have, one of which is an early Dutch contract piece. I couldn't find any contact info for him in the book so I decided to call the place where I ordered it from, Wet Dog Publications. You can imagine my surprise when I called and asked if they knew of any way I could contact to the author and the gentleman on the line said that I was speaking to the author. He was a very nice man. We talked for 15 or 20 minutes and he clarified some things I was unsure of after reading the book and answered some questions I had on which accessories would be correct for my pistol. Really, a first rate guy all the way. If your interested in trying to contact him, check out his website at Wet Dog Publications. Their phone number is on their website. He also has a few other collector type books listed for sale, including his other book on holsters and shoulder stocks of the world. Hope this info helps and again, very nice pistol!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello h2ofrq2, congratulations for your DvF.
With regard to the Dutch contract, Vanderlinden does not mention mags were numbered. I would be interested in watching this detail if you could post a picture of it.
Bruno

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The highlighted stamping was already on the pistol, it appears original but I can't tell for sure. Thank you for the pic, I'll try to find out about this numbering issue. --/ Bruno

·
Copper Bullet member
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anthony Vanderlinden in "FN Browning Pistols" (2013), page 224, mentions that "after the war, the D.v.F. adopted the Model 1922". Up to seven postwar Model 1922 are reported, all starting with prefix "A". Four of them have their SN in the 85-86,000 range. Slide is marked with Wilhelmina crest.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Hi Anthony,

So you think I should try to get it?
Yes of course, unless it is too expensive. All the Model 1922 I list came out of Holland... so it is rare outside of Holland.

Keep me posted.
Anthony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.