Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A German Railway police pistol in the U.S. Zone of Berlin was still missing in my collection. I am glad I could find one after so many years. According to our colleague A. Vanderlinden in FN Browning Pistols, 4671 U.S. Zone Model 1922s had been reported in 1971. Condition is excellent, with very little handling marks and holster use. For your appreciation, fellow collectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Outstanding. I can only imagine how difficult it has been finding such a rare piece.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Wow! That is a super gun. Although made after 1918 I can still appreciate how significant it is. :)
Ron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi to you all !
Just another Bahnpolizei U.S. Zone. This one appears like new. It has no sign of holster and looks almost unfired. Just a little issue on it : the left grips appears of older type, while the right one appears of later type. Well: the reason could be that for some reason the right one got broken and was replaced. I also wonder if this was replaced by one collector, but in this case why don't replace both ones, also considering that the left (older) one has the internal rib missing a small portion of it.
Well, my question for Anthony (after looking carefully at the pictures of his fantastic book) is : maybe the grips could have been mixed at the factory?
pic1.jpg pic2.jpg
Thank you so much !
Fausto

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Hello Fausto,

No, that grip panel is a later replacement. The one on the left side is the factory original. No telling where and who replaced it... Some of these survive in excellent condition and were never issued.

Thanks for sharing!
Anthony

·
Registered
26 Posts
A German Railway police pistol in the U.S. Zone of Berlin was still missing in my collection.
This is an old thread which I just stumbled across, but just in case others read this for reference, I‘d like to add a minor correction:

These pistols have nothing to do with the US sector of Berlin. They were procured through the OMGUS for the Bahnpolizei in the late 1940s, but ironically due to disputes over price and who would pay, ended up being issued to the West German “Bahnpolizei der Deutschen Bundesbahn” (covering all of West Germany, not just the former US zone) not until 1951, and serving as the standard-issue sidearm until 1979, when they were replaced by the SigSauer P6.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you. I'd like to hear our colleague Anthony V. about that...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Indeed so, Absalom is correct that this has nothing to do with Berlin. I was answering questions and did not notice the reference to just the Berlin sector. This was for the U.S. Zone and so marked in the mid-1950s. No doubt that these were carried on trains throughout Germany. However I do not see much difference or a distinction between the Deutsche Bundesbahn and the management of the railroads by the Allies... I am not a German railroad historian and do not know how these agencies worked together or how the Allies supervised the German rail system. I do not think that these should be viewed as different rail companies operating independently. These pistols are not from the '40s but mid '50s and I would think that by then most of the West German railroads were operating under the German state with allied supervision - but I could be wrong.

I know nothing about difficulties with payments and why this would propel use by one agency versus another. I seriously doubt that these were in use through 1979 (some 25 years) as most are near mint and many were already surplussed by then. Maybe some were kept in reserve until then.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
26 Posts
..... This was for the U.S. Zone and so marked in the mid-1950s. No doubt that these were carried on trains throughout Germany. However I do not see much difference or a distinction between the Deutsche Bundesbahn and the management of the railroads by the Allies...

..... I seriously doubt that these were in use through 1979 (some 25 years) as most are near mint and many were already surplussed by then. Maybe some were kept in reserve until then.
Thanks for your input, Anthony.

I've tried to square your mid-1950s timeline which you already gave in your book with the known facts, but it doesn't really work.

An issue is that there was no US zone in the mid-1950s; it ended in 1949 with the creation of the Federal Republic. The guns have to have been marked before then. Since September 1949 the Deutsche Bundesbahn was the West German state railroad, independent of Allied control, and the Bahnpolizei a federal police force attached to it since 1950.

Also, the Bahnpolizei pistols with their 130-thousand serials all seem to come from the same batch as the Berlin and Hamburg pistols, procured through the American-operated JIEA (Joint Export Import Agency) in Frankfurt from FN. The 4100 Berlin pistols are between serials 123126 and 154275 and were delivered between Oct. 1948 and the end of 1950. FN serials can work in mysterious ways, but in conjunction with the zone issue, this makes production of the Bahnpolizei pistols in the same time frame quite likely.

Whether an individual pistol was on duty until the end is of course impossible to determine, but these were indeed in service until 1979. An easy reference is this history website dedicated to the Bahnpolizei:

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I do not go by serial numbers but by production codes, and I clearly see 1955 production codes on multiple examples. Production year codes are not tied to contracts and never lie. So I do not know how this ties into your analysis.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I will also look further into this to see if there is a logical explanation...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts