G
#1 ·
Make: FN Browning
>Model: 1922
>Caliber: 7.65
>Finish: Blue
>Serial Number: 33247C
>
>(H) Left front of slide followed by eagle over swastika followed by flat wing symbol over WBA 140, directly beneath this is another flat wing symbol over WBA 140. Another flat wing symbol over WBA 140 directly over eagle over swastika on left side frame between trigger housing and top corner of the left side grip. ''MR'' on front left side of trigger guard but it looks like the ''R'' is open at the top..maybe wear but looks crisp. The right side has the serial# 33247C on front part of slide, 3247C on barrel extension, 3247C on frame above trigger guard, eagle over swastika over 3247C on bolt(rear of barrel) viewed thru the ejection port. Orginal magazine with FN seal on right side of mag with eight steel rounds. Have holster described as green colored canvas with brown leather trim, leather flap, right side leather mag pouch, leather belt slide loop with
words ''Gustav Reinhardt'' (followed underneath) ''BERLIN'' (followed
underneath) ''1941'' (followed underneath) eagle stamp over the number ''7''. Inside the leather flap is the words ''Nurfür Pistole 37M(Ung.) Kal.7.65mm'' all underlined.
>

> My grandfather took this gun and holster from a Nazi officer at the Battle of the Bulge. I also have the military captured enemy equipment certificate issued by the military. The question is...I would like to find out all I can about the gun from the markings and serial number. Where produced, plant, special issue, how many produced, if certain lots were given to specific sections of the Nazi officers, special meanings, value, etc. Don't want much do I...I would never sell it, has special meaning to me coming from my grandfather especially because he was one of the guys to land on the beaches of Normandy on D Day and fight through the Battle of the Bulge and various other conflicts then staying to transport the people out of the concentration camps, finally coming back to the states in '46.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Steve, I have one 1922 FN, but know little about them!

I imagine other folks will come along and help you,

Ed

BTW, I actually am collecting stories like this, and pictures for a booklet of mine, if interested e-mail me.

#3 ·
I am not the expert on this topic, but I will start. Your pistol was made at FN in Belgium under German occupation. By the serial number I believe it was made in 1943.
These pistols were issued to a wide range of enlisted personnel and made available for purchase by officers. I have seen photo evidence of their use by Army, Air Force and SS personel. I do not know if there was Naval issue or not.

THe holster was not intended for your pistol, it was for a Hungarian Femaru Model 1937. About 80,000 of these Hungarian pistols were reportedly purchased by the German Military.

Also I think the marking read WaA 140 and not WBa 140.

hope this helps, Frank

The above information from "Axis Pitols" VOl. ll by Jan Still

#4 ·
Serial number were up to around #155,000 when Serialization was re-started in late 1943 -- with up to five digits followed by a suffix letter.

So pistol # 33247a would have been 33247 if no suffix was used.

Pistol # 33247b would have been 133247 if no suffix was used.

Your pistol - #33247c would have been 233247 if no suffix had been used.

The highest "recorded" serial number is 41671c.

So your pistol is a late pistol and would have been made in 1944, not too long before the Germans lost the FN factory.

The above information is from "The Belgian Browning Pistols" by Anthony Vanderlinden.

#6 ·
Hello,

The "MR" marking remains a mystery, there are many unfounded internet opinions, none backed by any info. I was one of few to review many of the surviving wartime documents and have paired all departments with most of the abbreviations. I conclude through cross referencing that it was a marking indicating that the part had to be moved forward to another department for finishing and assembly. This compared to many parts that were shipped unfinished to other factories and were thus devoid of the MR marking and stamped MI or other. There were four of five such marking indicating variances in the completion stages.

Its exact translation is no where to be found in surviving documents.

I hope this helps.
Anthony

Reactions: Hannibal
#7 ·
Hello,

The "MR" marking remains a mystery, there are many unfounded internet opinions, none backed by any info. I was one of few to review many of the surviving wartime documents and have paired all departments with most of the abbreviations. I conclude through cross referencing that it was a marking indicating that the part had to be moved forward to another department for finishing and assembly. This compared to many parts that were shipped unfinished to other factories and were thus devoid of the MR marking and stamped MI or other. There were four of five such marking indicating variances in the completion stages.

Its exact translation is no where to be found in surviving documents.

I hope this helps.
Anthony
Thanks for the info

#9 ·
go on gunbroker.com and do a search for FN 1922 . This will give you an idea of current market value. Look at the auctions that have bids. Some dealers will have a ridiculous opening bid, so look at those auctions that have bids...Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.