Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up recently. The condition is pretty good at least. I have not been able to figure out a year of manufacture or special contract. The L prefix has done me in. Any and all help or opinions are appreciated. The grip panels are red painting on the inside.

John

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Material property
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Wood Mammal
White Light Air gun Automotive design Trigger
Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive exterior Bumper Rectangle Magenta Auto part
Finger Communication Device Gadget Tints and shades Magenta
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Toy Gun accessory
Sleeve Finger Audio equipment Microphone Collar

· Registered
2,164 Posts
I think I see a Belgian proof mark on the right side of the trigger guard. Also, my Israeli surplus HP is marked exactly as yours on the slide. If yours was Belian proofed, I'd say it's likely real.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Premium Member
530 Posts
The difference with IDF pistol of which I own many is that the serial # are standard browning patterns the "Alphabet" BHP's like this one are well known FEG fakes. Check over at the BHP forums you will see. Also the IDF ones with either have a Star of David or the mark of the Sayeret Matkal on them depending on use and are general Mk II and Early MK III models .

The Hungarian fakes tried to duplicate the roll marks and even the proofing but the non standard serial # is the give away. You can call Browning if you like they will tell you the same thing

· Premium Member
530 Posts
The slide legend is another clue that FN did not make it. There is no de between Nationale & Herstal.
Dan
Thats not always the case, look at my example. Other issues that stand out on this one is the IDF SOP called for the drain hole in the front, note on example. Also on the OP example look how off the numbering is. Browning/FN has had the same number sequence for decades and font type . You can see part of it where I had my front strap stippled

· Registered
45 Posts
Thats not always the case, look at my example. Other issues that stand out on this one is the IDF SOP called for the drain hole in the front, note on example. Also on the OP example look how off the numbering is. Browning/FN has had the same number sequence for decades and font type . You can see part of it where I had my front strap stippled
My mistake. The clone is of a later model with abbreviated address.
Dan

· Premium Member
530 Posts
Even the FEG ones are getting pricey, I mean if you didnt over pay no need to use it as a boat anchor. When I got my IDF HP it was before the market went nuts about 5 years ago and I think I paid $300 for it and then had the Cylinder and Slide kit installed, new sights, front strap done etc. I mean if you want a good shooter you have that

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From doing additional research on this crappy gun I am thinking this was an Iraqi contacted gun. The details are still a bit grey but appears to fall into the correct serial number range, finish and slide legend. Any additional thoughts?
John

· Premium Member
530 Posts
Iraqi contract ones have the crest on them just before the rear sight and hav standard browning serial number sequencing after 1954

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with the comment about gun lore and most of the info on the net is not correct but you should also watch your words as I do not not live on fantasy island.
I cannot remember the webpage. I will try to find again but I thought credible at the time. The guy was an author on the topic as well. I know an expert that does not make.
John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.