Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the FN Browning M1922 E/WaA613 7.65mm pistol I acquired in Louisville at SOS last week. Dean Gizzi and I passed this pistol on our way to claim our Nagant revolvers we had purchased the day before. The ever vigilant and eagle eyed Dean spotted it at a table inside a glass case and we stopped to take a look. Dean decided to pass on it (he already has one in his collection) so after we picked up our Nagant revolvers I headed back to get it. The OVMCS member selling it was asking $375 for it but I got it for even less. Donft know why really but he decided to let it go for $350. I was thrilled to get it and after a closer examination I was quite delighted to get such a nice specimen.

My first reaction was it has been refinished. Mainly because the nose piece showed very little wear or blue loss which is typical of these pistols. However, upon closer examination, it became apparent that it was probably the original finish and that this pistol had not been holstered much if any. The markings and slide legend markings are all very crisp and there is no evidence of any buffing degradation you would typically find on a reblue. All sharp corners are still sharp and not rounded whatsoever. So I have come to the conclusion that this is just a very well preserved original finish M1922. The internal parts and surfaces that should not be blued or refinished are not. I compared this one to an earlier E/WaA613 and they look very similar and identical with respect to the bluing pattern and the surface finish condition. The barrel bore condition and other internal parts confirm this original surface finish conclusion evidencing very little if any use.

This pistol is the third variation short lived 7.65mm caliber E/WaA613 accepted M1922. When the Germans seized the FN plant the FN plant logs showed approximately 20,000 pre invasion produced pistols including the Dutch contract pieces. German new production (using both captured parts and new production pieces) began at serial number 20,000 and lasted until around serial number 23,000 under the short lived E/WAa613 acceptance marking. This pistol is serial number 22,064. It has numerous E/WaA613 acceptance marks--three on the left side slide and frame and two on the left side of the barrel hood. It also has three German Army Test Proofs with two on the left slide and frame and one above the serial on the right barrel hood (barrels were one of the first things the Germans ran out of and had to produce and test). There are NO Belgium Proofs on this pistol as is correct. The pistol is all matching (see pictures below) right frame, slide (inside), barrel hood right side, and the right side of the barrel nose piece. The grips are black bakelite (not black plastic) with the left bottom right corner cut out for a lanyard loop which this pistol and most did not have. This is an excellent condition somewhat scarce WaA613 less than a thousand pistols before the switch over to the WaA103 acceptance marking. The blue on this one is at least 97% with only the slightest loss on some high sharp edges and a very small loss right in front of the rear sight on the top of the slide. It also has a E/WaA613 accepted magazine that came with it. I found the holster in the pictures a couple of days ago and it is a pristine example worthy of a pistol in this high condition. It is E/2 Luftwaffe accepted. Just need another E/WaA613 accepted magazine and I will have a complete rig. Any comments or further insigts are of course appreciated and welcomed! Thanks, Lloyd in Vegas
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Left Side.jpg
112.41KB
Download Attachment: Brwoning M1922 Right Side.jpg
94KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Disassembled.jpg
94.38KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Left slide and frame markings.jpg
52.71KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Left Barrel Hood Markings.jpg
39.31KB
Download Attachment: Brwoning M1922 E2 Holster Front.jpg
69.32KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Holster Open.jpg
64.82KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Rear Holster.jpg
78.62KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Holster E2 Luftwaffe Marking.jpg
76.05KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Inside Holster Flap Ink Mark.jpg
63.59KB
Download Attachment: Browning M1922 Rig.jpg
105.44KB

·
Registered
839 Posts
Lloyd,
It is because of pistols like this one, we travel to shows. That is a great find. Another nice rig!
Had a great time at the show and my Nephew is hooked! One big plus....I had a little cash left over to hand over to the wife when I got home! Happy wife means happy home!
Dean

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean and Mark,

Thanks for your kind remarks regarding this Browning M1922 rig. Yes, finding nice pieces at shows is what keeps us coming back. I thought both shows this year especially the NGD were better than in several previous shows. Dean, having a happy wife considering our obsessive collecting of these inanimate steel/metal objects (except in the distorted world of handgun control nut cases) is an important ingredient in maintaining some tranquillity on the home front! You are a smart man. Doing some extra little things for our wives and making sure they have some extra dollars at times goes a long way in soothing them and keeping them off our backs (smile) when the next got to have/can't wait vintage collectible pistol deal comes along! Best, Lloyd in Vegas

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats Lloyd. I've never seen anything remotely as good as that at any of the SLC shows. There is one dealer that always has some FN 1922's and many other WW2 German pistols. He only ever has WaA140 marked FN 1922's and has them labeled as Model 1934 Luftwaffe pistols, priced at around $600.

Anyway, great find.
Darwin

·
Registered
176 Posts
LoydinVegas, That is a really nice example of a Browning 1922...I picked it up on Saturday and thought about it all night...went back on Sunday and it was..GONE!!! It was sort of hidden away..back in a corner. I have only been collecting pistols for about 6 months..been into Mosins, Mausers, Enfields..long guns for 4 years..so this is the first NGD show out of the last 8 that I paid attention to handguns. I thought it was a great show..one dealer from Florida had a really nice selection of Mauser pistols; M1910, M1914, Hsc..and Walthers. Your find was obviously not abused..someone took care of that pistol...great find! Cone Ten

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey Branko. A WaA140 marked FN 1922 is very common. They were produced in large numbers beginning in 1943. The earliest produced pistols under German occupate have a WaA613 marking, like the example Lloyd shows us at the beginning of this thread. Production was not deemed necessary in the beginning so production nubmers were low. Then the inspector was replaced by a new inspector who used the WaA103 marking. Production was increased around this time and a higher number of pistols was produced but still not many before that inspector was replaced by the inspector who used the WaA140 marking and production continued at a higher rate. The WaA140 inspector mark was used throughout the remainder of the production while FN was under German occupation making it quite common. As with most of the firearms produced for the Wehrmacht, as the war progressed, ways were sought to reduce the cost and time to produce pistols. That is quite evident with the WaA140 marked pistols. The early examples approach commercial, pre-war quality while later examples are not nearly so nicely finished and exhibit evident signs of shortcuts in prodcution.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lloyd. I'd love to come down to Las Vegas and give you a visit. I have a friend who performs in Las Vegas with his brothers. They are one of the few family-safe shows left there. We could probably get tickets. Bur for now I'm pretty will chained to the desk at work.

My most recent acquisition is a new home. I'm pretty house poor right now so there probably won't be any new pistol acquisitions for awhile. But I did get a Dutch pistol with matching number magazine, holster and cleaning rod for Christmas. You may remember seeing my post about it.

It'll have to keep me happy for awhile. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lloyd,
Just saw your post. That's enough to make a fellow FN collector cry! Excellent find. But that's no fair. It's hard enough to find 1922s around here without you guys out west coming around. I wish you and Darwin would please stay home. (Just kidding.)
Mike in Ohio.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, I do stay home - except on the internet. :) But, you can feel fairly secure that I am out of the hunt for a bit. Have a new house to pay for, a yard to put in and a basement to finish. That ought to keep the funds tied up for awhile.

Good hunting,
Darwin

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike,

Yes, us western boys have to "bust out" of the WEST once and awhile and invade the eastern territories looking for these elusive FN Browning treasures (smile)! The SOS/NGD is the only show I go to each year back east. The rest of the time I spend out west where the pickens is very slim most of the time. I will say that most of the FN Browning WWII German M1922s I have purchased have come from collectors/dealers east of the Mississippi. Hey, Mike what M1922s do you have in your collection? and what are you looking for? Be happy to keep an eye out for you and let you know if I find something you would be interested in. I have most of the German waffenamt accepted M1922s with the exception of a M1922 Dutch Contract Queen Wilhelmina Crest with one waffenamt E/WaA613 and one of the 9mmK with one E/WaA613 waffenamt in the 288,000--289,000 serial range. I know they are sort of the Holy Grails of M1922 German military pistol collectors! Best regards and thanks for your kind remarks about my recent M1922 acquisition. Lloyd in Vegas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lloyd,
I have some of the Nazi ones: WaA613 380 cal, WaA613 32 cal, WaA103, several WaA140, and Eagle/N. Then there's the Dutch Crown/W, Dutch Crown/J, Dutch Pol.Tr., Dutch Kon.Mar., Dutch R.V., Yugo State Property, Yugo Officer's, Romanian Interior Ministry, Mexican Federal District, French Navy, French Police Toulouse, Danish Rplt., Turkish T.C. Subay, Greek, German Bahn Polizei, German Police Hamburg, German Police Berlin. There might be a few more. :)
What am I looking for? Anything displaying contract or property markings that I don't already have. In particular: Belgian Military, other Turkish, other Yugo, Mexican gov't crest, AKAH or GECO marked, Finnish SA, Bavarian, VOPO, Dutch Dep. of Fin. The list could go on and on!
Regards,
Mike in OH

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lloyd, interesting gun and a very nice holster with Luftwaffe acceptance. BTW, I bought a comparable gun at SOS in February 2005, too. It is serialled by number 24 282 which perfectly fits into the early variation. When my gun has been exported to Germany I will send pics.Regards k98man

·
Registered
210 Posts
Lloyd, interesting gun and a very nice holster with Luftwaffe acceptance. BTW, I bought a comparable gun at SOS in February 2005, too. It is serialled by number 24 282 which perfectly fits into the early variation. When my gun has been exported to Germany I will send pics.Regards k98man

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.