Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the latest addition to my collection.

This pistol was part of a contract placed with FN by the French Navy around 1932. Cal 7.65mm. Refinished by the French after the war. Based on observed contract numbers, it is estimated that about 5500 were originally ordered. (Reference: "The Belgian Browning Pistols") These are not often seen.

Download Attachment: French Naval left.jpg
179.4KB

Download Attachment: French Naval right.jpg
153.44KB

Download Attachment: French Naval top.jpg
22.52KB

·
Registered
833 Posts
Darwin,

Nice pistol and nice photographs. I know that you are a serious Browning M1922 Collector and have a very nice collection of these outstanding and historical pistols. How many do you have in your collection now? and how many different variations/contracts? What M1922s are you looking to add to your collection? Just curious and happy to "keep an eye" out for you! Thanks for sharing this new find of yours with us. Best Regards, Lloyd in Vegas.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Lloyd. FN Browning pistols (with an emphasis on the M1922) is actually a relatively new focus to my collecting activities but I have always liked the FN Browning pistols and am somewhat surprised that it took me so long to start focusing my collection in this direction. But once I decided that is what I wanted to do, I almost immediately chanced upon some rare pieces. My collection now comprises the following pistols:

FN 1922's:
  • Yugoslavian Contract (Army) with original holster
  • Greek Contract
  • Shanghai Chinese police marked
  • French Naval Contract
  • 4 German marked pistols
    • WaA613 marked (currently awaiting delivery having also just recently acquired it)
    • Dual marked WaA613 and WaA140
    • WaA140 marked - 6 digit serial exceeding 200,000 - with original holster and both mags
    • WaA140 - late war variation (with C instead of G in slide legend)
FN 1903 - Swedish military marked

FN 1905 vest pocket pistol - Marked with the Russian Imperial crossed rifles

FN 1910 - no special markings but came with WW2 capture papers

FN GP35 - WaA140 marked with original holster and both mags

Now, I would love to find any of the following:

FN 1922s:
  • Turkish contract
  • Yugoslavian Officer
  • Romanian
  • Danish police
  • Dutch police
  • or any other with unusual police or military markings
And any other model of FN Browning pistol with police or military markings.

It always is nice to have an extra set of eyes looking but I'm almost out of money. I sold my Finnish Mosin Nagant collection to fund the majority of my pistol collection. Anybody need an Sk.Y (Civil Guard) marked Finnish M.39? :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since receiving this pistol yesterday, I noticed a rattle. As I examined it I discovered that the rattle was caused by the magazine safety - the magazine safety spring and magazine safety pin are missing but the magazine safety itself is still there, just rattling around inside. Due to it's location it can't fall out. Does anybody know if the French maybe didn't like the magazine safety feature and disabled it? I was thinking the pin might have just worked its way loose and then the spring fell out after the magazine started rattling around but that can't be the case because the grip panels cover the ends of the pin. Somebody either removed the pin or the French never put the pin back after refinishing the pistol. Does anybody else have a French Navy pistol with a loose magazine safety? I will have a replacement spring and pin on order shortly.

Thanks,

G

·
Hi....I have a Turkish M 1922, it belonged to my granddad who was an officer in the Turkish Army.As a child i was very good in assembly/ disassembly of it. Since I live in Switzerland now, and the the gun is registered in my grandmothers name, I can't take the m 1922 out of Turkey,( so i never took it to the shooting range) I wanted to know how the Browning is as a shooter and a sidearm. I have a Swiss Luger 06/24, and wanted to know how this gun compares to the browing.
Thx for the help
RGDS
Sensler

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope to add a Turkish M1922 to my collection sometime. I barely missed one a few months ago. It is a shame you are unable to take the pistol with you to Switzerland. They Turkish pistols are difficult to find here in the US. I enjoy shooting the FN 1922. For me there is some challenge to keeping the grip safety depressed while keeping my aim steady. I have never shot a Luger so I cannot compare. I do like the simple design of the FN 1922. As mentioned above, my French Navy marked pistol was missing components. It was a simple matter to repair it once the replacement parts arrived. I should give credit to Carl's Gun Parts. He provided the parts at no charge as a Christmas gift. My thanks to Carl.

It is a shame you are unable to take the pistol out of Turkey.

G

·
Darwin recently started collecting FN 1910/1922! What are your thoughts on A prefix Post-Liberation guns. Are they somewhat rare because of total production?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.