Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how rare are they one came with my 42 byf it is mint condition and how much do they sell for.and when did they stop putting seral no. on magizines. also got a holster no waffin marks no luger tool pouch seral no. in between belt loops police style closer look like a g with eco in side i don,t think its a luger holster my p38 fits good including the magizine. the luger mag sticks out. thanks

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
BigRon, Does your holster look like this one. If so it's a post war police holster for an Astra 600. The same pattern was issued for Hi-Powers, and I am told, also P.38s? My P.38s fit, but just don't seem exactly right. Mag protrudes alittle too much. As for the mag. I think it's fairly common issue. They are selling for around $75, from what I've seen.

Ron

Download Attachment: 101_0169_r1.JPG
110.12 KB

·
Banned
803 Posts
Your plastic bottom fxo mag is not rare, but they are hard to find in mint condition. The plastic bases are easily prone to breakage, and they are often found to be cracked, chipped, or broken. These mags began to be appear in 1941 and were not numbered, though they were interspersed with metal bottom mags which were numbered to match the pistol. One in mint condition like yours is worth as much as $150.

G

·
aaron
To make a long story short let me say this, in my opinion Mauser numbered the origianl black plastic magazine bottoms. Just too many numbered ones laying around to disregard this thought. As you said they chipped and were broken easily. Therefore, this numbering effort was discontinued almost immediately. Consequently, they also seriously curtained numbering the concave pinned aluminum base magazines near the end of the - u - block of 1941. If you guys have some doubt, show me a v, w, x, y or z numbered fxo Military aluminum base magazine. I find that a few 42-byf Lugers have matching magazines and it all goes back to the old comment. Only 97% of the people really get the word. Apparenty a few "mag number stampers" keep doing the job. Good Luck.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Silvereagle:

My byf 41 4877 v came to me with an unstamped aluminum bottomed mag. Can you describe what characteristics will enable me to determine if this was likely to have been the mag that was issued to this pistol? BTW, the pistol is almost MINT condition, with a mint bore, some holster wear on the sight, a bit on the sideplate and on the heel of the backstrap next to the lug. The finish is the "dipped" black look and is NOT "restored". Years ago I picked up a mint fxo 37 mag for it since the Black Widows I saw at that time had that type mag.....maybe I was too smart for my own good....the good news is I KEPT that mag and I would like to know if this could be the type you described.

Yes, the grips are black plastic, yes it has the threaded holes on the back, but no, the threads are over twice the size of the grip screws. They show some wear and have been like that since 1976 when I purchased it. The PO had it some 10 years I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.