Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G date S/42 with matching #s including the clip. I was told the #s were the last 2 digits of the serial #. However there are no other numbers on the pistol. Does this mean my serial # is only 2 digits? Is it possible this is a Kierghoff manufactured pistol?
Thanks, Rob

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
If it is a G date S/42, then it is made by Mauser.

I am unsure about S/42's, but two digit, although not encountered as often, are just the first 100 of a set, 3 digit the next 899 of the set, then 4 digits are 1k range.

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed, That info will assist in quest for many unanswered questions. What is the best way to determine if its a commercial or military pistol? and what is a good source for matching the marks on the pistol and clip?

Rob

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
Jans books are the best around, they have markings, examples etc. Costanzo's book is huge and a good ref, but fairly expensive ($150-$300).

Pictures here on the forum and we'll help you. You could use digital camera or scan it in on a scanner.

Ed

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Rob
A Mauser G-Date will have an S/42 on the middle toggle link and a letter suffix on the front of the frame under the serial number.

A Krieghoff G-Date will have an HK anchor over Suhl on the middle toggle link and will not have a suffix under the serial number on the frame. It is a very rare and desirable luger.

As Ed said: "If it is a G date S/42, then it is made by Mauser."

Look at the contents part of the Third Reich Lugers part of this Forum for a complete description of Mauser G-Dates.

A complete description of every marking on your Luger and photographs will help evaluate it.
Jan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Jan, I've heard from the forum that your books are wonderfull. Can I get one at the bookstore?
I will check out the contents part of the forum. I have posted pictures in the '33-'45 mauser section. Thanks again,
Rob (new user)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.