Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Gentlemen,

I also am fascinatd by your very serious and intensive discussion on the Gasser M70. But the most impotant thing was not mentioned:

Indroduced in the Austro-Hungarian Armed Forces (Army and Navy) in 1870, it was the most advanced and modern ordnance revolver of the period:

Double Action and
Center Fire

Which country had this too in 1870? I do not know one.......

A few corrections:

Leopold Gasser instead of Leupold
Rast & Gasser instead of Rust

"Guss-Stahl" is the Austrian term for Bessemer steel, the most advanced steel production method of the second half of the 19th century. So the Guss-Stahl was not a inferior quality - on the contrary! This kind of steel was not the same as cast iron in steel.

Barrel, cylinder and frame of the M70 were of iron, the main parts of the M70/47 was of this steel to prevent damages by too high pressure of the ammunition. The reason was simple: In the Austrian cavalry the Werndl carbine was chambered for the same round (11.2 x 36 R), but the charge was about the double amount. The carbine rounds had a gilding metal case and the revolver cartridges a brass case to prevent mix ups. Of course mix ups happened. This was the reason to introduce a steel frame. The second step was to introduce a shortened case in 1882 (11.2 x 29 R) to have a visual difference between the two ammo types in the cavalry. The load (and ballistics) of the revolver round remained the same, only the wad between charge and bullet (spacer) was rejected.

That's it, fellow collectors! And do not forget: I am not an English native speaker!

As ever
George Roth alias Josef Moetz, author of the Austrian pistol book

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.