Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Rare 11.3 mm Montenegrin revolver of Pancho Villa's forces

Dear Montenegro69 !

I'm affraid that the specific 11.3 mm Gasser M1870 "Montenegrino" revolver which is pictured in the 8 attaced photos after my message is not for sale. Nevertheless I have acquired in U.S.A. a shorter barrelled (if memory serves me well, its barrel has a length of ca. 7" - 8") 11.3 mm "Montenegrin" made in Belgium by unknown independent gunsmith and according to its pervious owner it was sold to him in Mexico in the ealry 1970's by a sellers of antiques who claimed that it was used by Pancho Villa's rebels in Mexico during the well known U.S. - Mexican conflict of 1913 over Texas. The specific 11.3 mm "Montenegrin" revolver is in prestine condition and works flawlessly. It it finely decorated with deep engravings on it receiver and a kind of nickel platina on its outer metal surfaces, bearing also a pair of nice ivory or bone grips. I would rate its overall condition in VG+ according to NRA's graduation on use firearms' condition (I would rate the overall condition of the prictured in the aforementioned 8 photos long barrelled 11.3 mm Gasser M1870 "Montenegrino" revolver of mine as G+ only). As you are well aware of, the specific obsolete revolver is also classified as "antique" according to the Federal U.S. Firearms Legislation, as being manufactured prior to 1899. I have bought it about 2 years ago (after setting the highest bid on its e-auction in U.S.A.) and it's currently in posssession of my Firearms Dealer in Glasgow, MT. If you would like to view and/or to purchase it in U.S.A. (you are a U.S. citizen, if I'm not mistaken), please feel free to e-mail me anytime:cool:.

Best reqards to you and all the forum members: Thalis

· Registered
3 Posts
thanks for this history information...would you sell this gun?

Dear Montenegro 69!

I have applied on 19.8.2012 to your request dated 5.10.2011. Unfortunately the 11.3 mm Gasser M1870 Montenegrino revolver which is shown in the 8 attached photos of mine is not for sale, but I have for sale a 11.3 mm Montenegrin revolver madei in Belgium which is in better overall condition (VG+). You are most welcome to view and examine it in person in U.S.A. in order to decide if you are willing to buy it or not, because by mere coincidence it's still in possession of my Firearms Dealer located in Glasgow, MT. The specific 11.3 mm Montenegrin revolver has a special historical value as it was acquired by teh previous owner from Mexico in the early 1970's where it was encountered war service with Pancho Villa's rebells during the US - Mexican war of 1913. Please feel free to view my fuull answer to your e-mail dated 5.10.2011 on Page 5 of the present topic on this forum. By all means I'll be looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards: Thalis

· Registered
3 Posts
RE: 11.3 mm M1870 Montenegrin Gasser ammo reloading

thanks for this history information...would you sell this gun?
Gents of the Luger forum!
I'm very happy to announce you the 1st serious attempt to reload ammo for the 11.3 mm Gasser M70/74 "Montenegrin" revolver by a well known firearms' Guru of teh famous "Guns & Ammo" magasine. Trust me and just have a look to the excellent following URL: http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/gasser-revolver?page=1 . You will find under the specific URL a valuable wealth of thoroughly founded answers on reloading, technical and historical data concerning the above mentioned old and obsolete but always reliable, versatile and by sure most deadly (as producing a devastating 330 sq.lbs. stopping power !!!) in case of enemy encounter revolver. You may also view some reloading suggestions of mine for the 11.3 mm Gasser Montenegrin round by visiting the following URL: www.thefirearmsforum.com under the topic: "Curio and relic" with subject: "2nd Montenegrin Gasser info needed":cool:.
Regards: Thalis

· Registered
1 Posts
Greetings, I have an old revolver that I inheritted when my father passed away and finally descided to try to research it a bit and this post had the closest I could find to what I have. Although my revolver has a much shorter barrel. It appears the front site was removed and there is no rear site. I even have the holster it came with. I will try to attach a few photos if I can figure out how. Any additional info would be hugely appreciated.
Best Regards,
DOC

· Registered
162 Posts
Gasser revolver

This is one of the last Gasser 11mm revolvers, commercially proofed in Vienna in 1914. This small 5-shot Montenegrin version, a late derivative of the model 1870, is usually called Officers' Model. During WWI it was accepted by the Austrian Landwehr. The somewhat fuzzy unit marking seems to be 23 LSt R / 3, presumably 23rd Landsturm Regiment, weapon number 3. An interesting piece but not worth much due to missing parts.

With kind regards,
Jani
([email protected])

· Registered
162 Posts
The barrel does not look shortened to me, normal length for this model was 130mm. 1914 proof indicates production in same year. This specimen was made as a commercial Gasser's Montenegrin revolver just before WWI and acquired and pressed into service by the Landwehr due to shortage of standard handguns during the war.
With kind regards,
Jani

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.