Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once at a gun show, a Luger Aficionado told me a story about the design of balancing in the hand . He said that the rear overhang helps putting your eye on the sights naturally when you hand and arm are balanced out to shoot. He said close your eyes and point the Luger, then open your eyes and see them line up ! I’m looking for anyone hearing this or was I given a tall tale? Life is full of fun facts or just stories.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,811 Posts
The Luger has what I call pointablity. It set very comfortably in your hand where other pistols do not. Anyone can aim and hit a target, using the sights, with practice. To hit something you're looking at has more to do with, "Hand-eye" coordination. This can, also ,be learned to a degree, but you either have it or you don't.
Pat

Reactions: johnnydarkgt350

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Luger is the most comfortable hold and grip of any pistol I’ve held and shot . The toggle action ads to its personality as well . By profession I am a journeyman watchmaker. The fit of the parts , it’s Assembly and disassembly and the hand fitting of the wood grips keeps this the top firearm for me.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
The Luger is reasonably ergonomic, and was a considerable improvement over other contemporary designs in 1899-1900 when the Swiss and others were considering semi-automatic pistols for their military forces.

Many of the gunsmith designers at the time were more concerned with just getting the actions to function reliably, and not so concerned with how they handled. The Borchardt pistol design that Luger started with is an example of that.

When Bill Ruger worked on his design for a .22LR pistol after WW-II, he chose the Luger grip angle and shape for his Mark-I pistol.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,811 Posts
Marc,
I know that John Browning's Model 1911 Colt went thru a few design changes, to improve ergonomics. I like the 1911. It's a good combat pistol. It's size makes you very aware of where it is and what it's pointed at.

Pat

Reactions: Daniel76
1 - 6 of 6 Posts