Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, I'm like the guy who just learned to drive. Thinking about how I'm going to be an Indy winner. Way out of my league.

98% Swiss,long frame, two dime sized frosty spots on front strap.
Bottom of barrel a bit faded.
All other is perfect, factory crisp, beautiful blue.
Cross in Shield on toggle.
Ser# P26159. Also stamped around barrel flange on left side
Proofed with F+ within a large W, on rear of upper above lanyard staple.
Grips are dark brown plastic with makers marks top and bottom.
Barrel is 4 3/4" with mint bore. The price is firm at $2595.00

What is it exactly,and is the price out of bounds?

Edicate me!! Thanks! Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ron, You are looking at a Swiss 06/29 Luger. The serial number indicates that it is one of 400 pistols produced by Waffenfabrick Bern in 1942 for the commercial market. I recently purchased a Swiss 06/29 in what I believe to be in better condition with a very good holster for less than the price you are stating.I believe that the grips were either brown or black plastic for these Lugers. I hope this info helps you.
Craig

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig, It helps alot, Thanks! Just wondering about it. They offered to lay it away. The dealer would come down on the price, but it's a consigned gun. He offered to split the different on the commission. He's going to contact the owner to get the price lowered.He's had it for nearly 2 yrs.

Thanks! Again , Ron

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Ron, check with Doug Smith. I believe he had a bunch of these Luger clones that he was selling. I think $2500 is way over the top. If you want to spend that kind of money on a Swiss Luger talk to George. He'll sell you one that actually IS a Luger.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
Ron, I just checked a recent "Gun List". Doug Smith is offering "Swiss Model 29 Luger...Excellent to New. With Original Swiss Holster $1750.00"

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geo, Thanks! I was just curious about this one. I know squat about Swiss Lugers. So this is a Luger copy of sorts, made by the Swiss? Not made by Luger, for the Swiss? Is this what is called a Swiss-Bern?
Ron

·
Administrator
15,522 Posts
Ron, from the little I know, a whole new ball-game. Swiss were the first that adopted the luger, so there are german made swiss, then the swiss started to make their own, using the modifications they liked the best.

Ed

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi Ron,

The M1929 W+F Bern was all Swiss-made and had nearly 10-11 design changes to achieve what the Swiss called "improvements"...but seem mostly changes to cut manufacturing costs and time (and to some, to make them just...ugly...).

In the V. Bobba Swiss luger book, a serial P26159 could either have brown or black plastic...as there was some overlap when the color of plastic changed.

The P-serial numbered, commercial pistols do seem to have a premium price associated with them. The folks at Simpson's have several on their Swiss luger web site section that are running from $ 2500 to $ 3300 asking prices...(both brown and black plastic versions). I think the one on the FGS site is not a P-serial number version at the price Geo. mentioned.

The chance of finding a mint luger with an equally matching mint bore, IMHO, would be greater in these commerical pistols rather than in the Ordnance pistols...just from the speculation that a private Owner may not have shot their pistol as much as a person in the military or police services.

The "prize" find in these P-serialled M1929's is a much more rare "red" variety...versus the ones with brown or black plastic...V. Bobba speculates that only 8-10 of the P-serial lugers left Bern originally with red grips and magazine bottoms. One is photographed in C. Kenyon's 2nd. book (that large, coffee table book...) on page 155.

My red Bern in the photo, below, is just a place-holder in my collection until a rare red M1929 Bern with P-serial shows up...

Download Attachment: MyBern.jpg
177.65 KB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.