Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although This Gun appears to be a pre war commercial combination shotgun/rifle and not Luftwaffe
I elected to post it here.

This is a 16ga double barrel hammerless shotgun with a rifle barrel under cal 7.8mm x 57
The gun has a varnished wood stock with the metal being chrome and scroll engraved . It has double triggers and the trigger guard metal is blued and engraved. The barrel length is 24 3/8" and I think the rifle caliber is 7.8mmx57 , (see stamp on barrel underside) The stock is checkered with a cheekpiece . The forearm is checkered with the metal parts engraved . There are many various proof marks on the barrel underside ( see pictures) c/u , c/w , c/S.T.M.G. , Diamond K , 14D , Suhl , u/16 and many more period Proofs . The serial # is 20128 with all three pieces matching .
The gun has a plastic butt plate with horizontial serrations between the retaining screws . The gun came in a Leather case with a lift up end closure and a carrying strap . The Gun was brought back after WWII . The gun is in very good condition ,
Any Info would be appreciated .

Ron Heming

Attachments

·
2,360 Posts
Edward Ketner had a large gunshop in Suhl, Germany and at least 2 different retail outlets in Germany. Your Drilling was proofed in January, 1940; and is in 8x57J (rimmed) caliber with the 16 gauge chambers being 60mm (2 1/2") in depth. The S.t.m.G. with Crown N nitro proof indicates the rifle barrel was proofed with a steel-jacketed bullet using smokeless powder. The fact your gun was made (proofed) 140 (1/40) and still has the Crown N nitro proof indicates it was proofed in January before the NEW nitro proof was adopted by all proofhouses in Germany on January 15, 1940. The new proofmark was the Eagle N that we all are familiar with. So it was proofed between January 1 and January 14. Regards, Jim Cate

·
2,360 Posts
Sorry for the mis-spelling: it is KETTNER rather than Ketner as I wrote above. Kettner had been in operation for a long time in Suhl. I have owned at least one of the Kettner Drillings in years past. Next time I am in Suhl I will make it a point to gather some decent info about this company from the Archiv records. By the way, Kettner also purchased some Drilling actions and side by side double rifle (Doppel-buechse) from other companies and finished them by stocking, engraving, barreling, these hunting weapons. Regards, JIM

·
Copper Bullet Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim , Any Idea as to value on this Gun ?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
9,925 Posts
ron, That is a beautiful sporting rifle! You have to wonder how many civilian Drilling's were made during the war years?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
The one Ron found on GI looks like a true drilling (three barrels) but is in the $3000 range, yours may be a bit more rare w/out the second 16ga on top. It's a really nice example, I've never seen one with the case before.

·
2,360 Posts
"Leg of Mutton" cases for prewar German guns are "out there" if you go to the larger, better gunshows you can find them. Unless they are marked for a particular factory, i.e. J.P.SAUER, they do not add much to the value of the gun....perhaps $100-150. Over/under rifle/shotgun combination guns are much more rare than the side by side rifle/shotgun German made guns. The over/under combos can bring more than the average Drilling, but only because of condition, engravings, and caliber. Regards, Jim Cate

·
Copper Bullet Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
leather Drilling Case Revitalized

I had Jerry Burney give this Leather Case his TLC . Here are the pics of before and after his work . This is a 1940 Vintage case and showed a lot of scuffs and handling on the leather surface . It now looks much better to complement the excellent condition of the Drilling that it carries .

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts