Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first Luger. I know its not anything all that great I think a commercial DWM serial
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
Automotive tire Rectangle Office equipment Wood Gas
Automotive design Rim Bumper Auto part Metal
Bicycle part Tire Wood Nickel Auto part
Household hardware Nickel Gas Fixture Lock
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Cylinder Input device Bicycle part Font Peripheral
Toy Wood Electric blue Gadget Personal protective equipment
Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Metal Nickel Bullet
#8843. Just like to find out more about history etc of it like date . All numbers seem to match except for by where the safety comes up to the frame, not sure what that part is.

Frank

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
Commercial alphabet..Used to be called a 1920's. Likely .30 Luger caliber. ANY Luger is a great one! Mag bottom looks aftermarket?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Commercial alphabet..Used to be called a 1920's. Likely .30 Luger caliber. ANY Luger is a great one! Mag bottom looks aftermarket?
Thanks! Was told a .30. I think mag might be aftermarket no markings . Its plastic or maybe Bakelite ?

I got a 1915 Meier & abitzsch holster with it. That is a bit interesting also. Do you think it could have been the original? I thought not as dated 1915.

·
10,547 Posts
Nice! Holster was paired with your pistol at a later date. The holster is a WW1 Military. 10 years later they got married.
Your holster needs some love & attention. Get some lanolin on the hinge at a minimum.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just an FYI. The part numbered 81 where the safety bar comes up is called the sear bar. The rest of the information you've been given is accurate.

Listen to Lugerholsterrepair WRT attending to the holster. He is the resident leather guru and knows his business.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The "m" is part of your Luger's serial number, and a suffix.

If your Luger was completely in battery when you photographed the front of the frame with the serial number, there is a possibility that it was ground down and renumbered. The receiver should not be proud of the front of the frame. It looks like you may have a mix of parts on your Luger since the number on the sear doesn't match.

Collectors often call these "DWM Alphabet Commercial Lugers". The "m" block likely was made and shipped in 1924. I have one in the middle of the "m" block too.

We publish a useful reference FAQ PDF document. Be sure to download a copy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum.

The "m" is part of your Luger's serial number, and a suffix.

If your Luger was completely in battery when you photographed the front of the frame with the serial number, there is a possibility that it was ground down and renumbered. The receiver should not be proud of the front of the frame. It looks like you may have a mix of parts on your Luger since the number on the sear doesn't match.

Collectors often call these "DWM Alphabet Commercial Lugers". The "m" block likely was made and shipped in 1924. I have one in the middle of the "m" block too.

We publish a useful reference FAQ PDF document. Be sure to download a copy.
hank you very much for the info. I checked frame to barrel in the front. From what I see the grip frame is slightly lower than I guess the upper barrel assembly. But the barrel and frame #'s match, can't see how the barrel # could have been ground down without some evidence on the barrel(don't see any) but the other I could see that.

I guess the mixed parts do hurt its value. When I first looked at it I really did not know much saw that it looked like the major parts matched so thought good, now not so good :(

I got it as part of 2 guns and a holster. Got a broom handle Mauser also with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an FYI. The part numbered 81 where the safety bar comes up is called the sear bar. The rest of the information you've been given is accurate.

Listen to Lugerholsterrepair WRT attending to the holster. He is the resident leather guru and knows his business.
Thanks I thought it was the sear but did not want to say if I was wrong lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice! Holster was paired with your pistol at a later date. The holster is a WW1 Military. 10 years later they got married.
Your holster needs some love & attention. Get some lanolin on the hinge at a minimum.
Also I thought the holster was in pretty good shape for 106YO lol I guess your saying its not? I was shocked looking around on like gun broker how much these holsters could be worth. Seems like could be worth as much as the gun as my luger is not all that special and not matching parts. So certainly plan to take care of it as you tell me!

·
10,547 Posts
so do I put Lanolin on the entire holster or just the hinge area? ? Inside and out? Or just outside?
ONLY on the outside. A very light coat on bendable surfaces to prevent cracking.

·
10,547 Posts
Reactions: Doubs

·
10,547 Posts
Also I thought the holster was in pretty good shape for 106YO lol I guess your saying its not? I was shocked looking around on like gun broker how much these holsters could be worth. Seems like could be worth as much as the gun as my luger is not all that special and not matching parts. So certainly plan to take care of it as you tell me!
Hard to say exactly what shape the holster is in from photos. The front closure strap has been sorely abused/replaced? Leather is generally neglected and poorly stored. A little tender loving care is often necessary 100 years later.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts