Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another one of these threads. My father gave it to me recently. My grandfather was in WW1 & WWII. He brought this one back from WWII.

It is a DWM. Has a "55" on top. On the forward metal part of the grip it says "A.M. XIII.5.22."

"47" on top of the extractor. "47" on the locking bolt. a cursive "W" on the underside back end of the trigger guard. "82" behind the rear sight. Eagle w/ upraised wings on the left side of the barrel. "Gesichert" behind the safety.

Beneath the underside back end of the barrel, there is "847" and below it looks like a cursive "a". Same "847" & "a" on the forward part of the frame, just under the barrel.

3 proof marks together on the left side of the receiver -

1) eagle w/ upraised wings
2) what appears to be a Erfurt proof mark (maybe the first one on #18 on the link below or the first one on #16)
3) a DWM proof mark - looks like the 2nd & 3rd ones on # 15 on the link.

I found the proof marks on http://www.lugerforum.com , the "Proof 2" section under "Technical Information" & then the "Markings" link.

An "RC" proof mark, just forward of the rear site.

Slide doesn't lock open.

Magazine - near the bottom of the mag - eagle, "FXO" and "P08".

I don't have any illusions about this having any particular value but was curious to know the following:

1) Anything of particular interest about it?
2) Approx. date of manufacture.
3) Any ideas on "A.M. XIII.5.22."

Thanks in advance!

· Administrator
17,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tom!

With so many assorted numbers, it sure sounds like a parts gun... But pictures or scans of both sides would help very much.

It has DWM, which is the manufacturer, but no date on the top of the receiver?

A "shooter" luger has a value of $450-$600, and a non-shooter, i.e. a collector piece is worth several hundred to even more...

The 847a is likely the serial number of the pistol.

The "A.M. XIII.5.22." is either a unit or a police marking, I am sure someone will jump in with a guess.

Ed

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No date on top of the receiver. I went over it pretty good with a magnifying glass. Is the manufacture date typically stamped on there?
I'm guessing this was a very early production from the production chart I looked over but the chart is difficult to interpret. Watched "Tales of the Gun" today, saw the Luger episode for about the 3rd time.

· Administrator
17,037 Posts
Depends on many factors.

here is a quick run-down;

Commerical models made prior to WW1 no dates
Military models made WW1 dates on most
Military and Commerical Weimar era dates and no dates, also dates taken off
Nazi era, some commerical, most military with dates, sometimes no

So, pictures would help very much...

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I don't have picture technology right now. Don't believe the wife's digital camera is good enough to take a decent close-up shot and then I'd have to figure out how to transfer it from the camera to the forum. Been meaning to tackle that one of these days. It came with a holster and capture papers too.

· Registered
5,220 Posts
Alamo,
The unit mark is: ArmeeKorps XIII. Munitions Column 5 weapon#22
These units were assigned to carry ammunition and ordinance. Usually in horse drawn wagons. More or less target practice for the Allied Aircorps. A cool Imperial (WWI) unit mark.
The RC on the toggle indicates that the toggle was replaced, because it did'nt meet the inspectors approval. The rest of the pistol
sounds like it was rebuilt for reissue in WWII. Or possibly a "sneak"(no date), assembled in the 1920s from left over parts.

Ron

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

Does it look like the top pic or the lower one?
I'm at the office, will check it out tonight.

Thanks for that info. Ron. I'll go over it again to see if I can find a date but I don't think I could have missed it.

· Administrator
17,037 Posts
Many guns were used and some "scrubbed" of dates during the weimar era 1919-1932/33, and also old parts were used. Since these were arsenal / factory builds, it is conbsidered ok for collectors, but all need to match stampings etc.

Very interesting time during germany.

Ed

· Platinum Bullet member
6,538 Posts
No date...are the proofs on the left side? Perhaps a 1908/09 first military.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:Originally posted by keoki7

No date...are the proofs on the left side? Perhaps a 1908/09 first military.
Yes, proofs are on the left.

I was thinking early production too since the slide doesn't lock back. It seems to match a 1908 from the luger forum production chart I copied below. I'm not sure what a stock lug is though.

1908 Military 9 4tw "DWM", no holdopen no stock lug.

· Platinum Bullet member
6,538 Posts
I am almost certain that it is a "1908 first issue military". One of the less often encountered WWI Lugers and unit marked to boot!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Does it look like the top pic or the lower one?

Download Attachment: SearSafe no sear safe.jpg
126.96 KB
Trying to figure out what difference I'm looking for - the rectangular piece in the left corner of the square piece on the top picture looks like mine as the condition is pretty good. That portion of the bottom picture looks pretty worn.

The bottom picture seems to more closely resemble everything else.

I notice the angled part on the pictures - to the left of the rightmost "45" on the bottom picture - where the saftety fits up into. That part sticks out to the right much further on mine, maybe 3X as far. Mean anything?

Let me know if I should be looking for anything else. Thanks!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Alamo, Is the butt of the grip smooth? Or does it have raised rib with a groove milled in each side. This would be the stock lug, for attaching a shoulder stock.
Ron
The grip is smooth on either side of the bottom of the bottom of the magazine. Saw no grooves.

· Administrator
17,037 Posts
I was trying to see if it was a police sear safety or not...

This is a police sear safety, see the rod at the top...

The bottom would be for a magazine safety.

If yours has neither, then the chance of it being a police is slim.

Was just trying to eliminate one more thing or add one more thing...

Ed

Download Attachment: 1914_dwm_police_parts_color.jpg
53.28 KB

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was trying to see if it was a police sear safety or not...

This is a police sear safety, see the rod at the top...

The bottom would be for a magazine safety.

If yours has neither, then the chance of it being a police is slim.

Was just trying to eliminate one more thing or add one more thing...

Ed
Checked it out, it has neither. Took the left grip panel off, looks like it's time for a disassembly and cleaning. Faint traces of rust in some corners of parts. Noticed an "H" on the lower part of the grip covered by the panel.

Checked again for a date on top of the frame and elsewhere, definitely no date.

I shot this pistol once about 12 years ago, worked fine. That's the only time it's been shot since WWII that I know of.

· Registered
5,220 Posts
Definitely! This would make it very desirable. Especially with the unit mark. A very neat luger.A first year production P.08. 25,000 were produced, but no one knows how many have survived. Approx.25% were unit marked, you have one of about 6000. I also have one that is unit marked. Now between us, we only have to find 5998 more.

Ron

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.