Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another one of these threads. My father gave it to me recently. My grandfather was in WW1 & WWII. He brought this one back from WWII.

It is a DWM. Has a "55" on top. On the forward metal part of the grip it says "A.M. XIII.5.22."

"47" on top of the extractor. "47" on the locking bolt. a cursive "W" on the underside back end of the trigger guard. "82" behind the rear sight. Eagle w/ upraised wings on the left side of the barrel. "Gesichert" behind the safety.

Beneath the underside back end of the barrel, there is "847" and below it looks like a cursive "a". Same "847" & "a" on the forward part of the frame, just under the barrel.

3 proof marks together on the left side of the receiver -

1) eagle w/ upraised wings
2) what appears to be a Erfurt proof mark (maybe the first one on #18 on the link below or the first one on #16)
3) a DWM proof mark - looks like the 2nd & 3rd ones on # 15 on the link.

I found the proof marks on http://www.lugerforum.com , the "Proof 2" section under "Technical Information" & then the "Markings" link.

An "RC" proof mark, just forward of the rear site.

Slide doesn't lock open.

Magazine - near the bottom of the mag - eagle, "FXO" and "P08".

I don't have any illusions about this having any particular value but was curious to know the following:

1) Anything of particular interest about it?
2) Approx. date of manufacture.
3) Any ideas on "A.M. XIII.5.22."

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No date on top of the receiver. I went over it pretty good with a magnifying glass. Is the manufacture date typically stamped on there?
I'm guessing this was a very early production from the production chart I looked over but the chart is difficult to interpret. Watched "Tales of the Gun" today, saw the Luger episode for about the 3rd time.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I don't have picture technology right now. Don't believe the wife's digital camera is good enough to take a decent close-up shot and then I'd have to figure out how to transfer it from the camera to the forum. Been meaning to tackle that one of these days. It came with a holster and capture papers too.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

Does it look like the top pic or the lower one?
I'm at the office, will check it out tonight.

Thanks for that info. Ron. I'll go over it again to see if I can find a date but I don't think I could have missed it.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:Originally posted by keoki7

No date...are the proofs on the left side? Perhaps a 1908/09 first military.
Yes, proofs are on the left.

I was thinking early production too since the slide doesn't lock back. It seems to match a 1908 from the luger forum production chart I copied below. I'm not sure what a stock lug is though.

1908 Military 9 4tw "DWM", no holdopen no stock lug.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Does it look like the top pic or the lower one?

Download Attachment: SearSafe no sear safe.jpg
126.96 KB
Trying to figure out what difference I'm looking for - the rectangular piece in the left corner of the square piece on the top picture looks like mine as the condition is pretty good. That portion of the bottom picture looks pretty worn.

The bottom picture seems to more closely resemble everything else.

I notice the angled part on the pictures - to the left of the rightmost "45" on the bottom picture - where the saftety fits up into. That part sticks out to the right much further on mine, maybe 3X as far. Mean anything?

Let me know if I should be looking for anything else. Thanks!

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:Originally posted by Ron Smith

Alamo, Is the butt of the grip smooth? Or does it have raised rib with a groove milled in each side. This would be the stock lug, for attaching a shoulder stock.
Ron
The grip is smooth on either side of the bottom of the bottom of the magazine. Saw no grooves.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was trying to see if it was a police sear safety or not...

This is a police sear safety, see the rod at the top...

The bottom would be for a magazine safety.

If yours has neither, then the chance of it being a police is slim.

Was just trying to eliminate one more thing or add one more thing...

Ed
Checked it out, it has neither. Took the left grip panel off, looks like it's time for a disassembly and cleaning. Faint traces of rust in some corners of parts. Noticed an "H" on the lower part of the grip covered by the panel.

Checked again for a date on top of the frame and elsewhere, definitely no date.

I shot this pistol once about 12 years ago, worked fine. That's the only time it's been shot since WWII that I know of.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Doesn't sound like the serial numbers on Lugers provide much information on determining the manufacture date. Curious as to what characteristics of this Luger would lead you to believe it is of 1908 manufacture? Mainly the lack of slide lock back and DWM manufacture?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for all the information and help. I appreciate it.

I'll see if I can find someone who has a suitable digital camera.

Question on the wooden grip panels. I guess it would be a good idea to try to put something on them to preserve them as they're almost 100 years old. Not trying to refinish them or restore them but just preserve them. Does anyone put anything on the grips for this? Boiled linseed oil and Tung oil are used on milsurp rifle stocks. Don't know if those are appropriate for these panels.

Also curious to know about the white proof marks and other markings I've seen in some pictures here. Were those normally white? Or was some flour or baby powder rubbed on them to make them stand out in photographs?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've got some Minwax Tung Oil Finish left over from using it on my M1 Garand. Probably similar to the Danish furniture oil. The Minwax isn't pure Tung Oil either. It was one of the products recommended for M1 stocks by the Civilian Marksmanship Program.
I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the Garand stock before the Minwax Tung Oil Finish, seemed to work pretty well.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have done close to a full disassembly - posted details on the "New Collector's Forum".

Parts aren't overly mismatched. No hold open latch as expected.

Here's the part #s / parts:

47 - extractor
47 - receiver
47 - locking bolt
47 - slide plate
47 - trigger
47 - extractor
47 - firing pin

55 - breech lock
55 - fwd toggle link
82 - rear toggle link

The main serial number on the underside back end of the barrel and forward part of the receiver is "847" with a cursive "a" below the 847. on each. I assume the "47" on most of the other parts indicates it goes with "847" ??

Interestingly, the extractor had the word "GELADEN" on it. Anyone seen this before? Is it a subcontractor name?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I examined the proof marks more closely tonight with a manifying glass. Contrary to what I originally posted, I'm pretty certain now they match the 3 proof marks on the Luger Forum website under "Proof 2" - #13 - which is the ones for 1908 military examples with chamber dates. However, mine does not have a date on it. Left to right, the proofs are the eagle, the "harp"-like thing, and the sort of "3" under the crown.

I looked at #12 on "Proof 1" (1908 military examples without chamber dates) and the only thing that matches is the eagle.

From pictures I've seen, if there was a date, it would be forward of the extractor. No date there. Is that where it should be? The reference to "chamber date" is confusing to me as I think of the chamber as the opening at the end of the barrel where the round is loaded into. I totally disassembled and examined every part, if there was a date, I surely would have seen it.

A friend has a good digital camera. I'll try to post pictures next week.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
After all these years after posting this message, I finally have pictures of it. It's a first issue, unit marked, no hold open, serial number 847a. And it has the mysterious "W" on the base of the trigger guard - visible in one of the pictures.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.