Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1940 Mauser Banner Police E/L. The brown wood grip panels do not have any serial numbers stamped on them. However, the left panel has a large 'E' and a small box with three numbers inside, possibly 355 ?. The right panel has what appears to be two unequal slash marks and the same small box as the left. There are no other markings on the grips.

Are these grips original to this weapon or are they from a different weapon.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
jesilva

Possibly the stamp is a 6 instead of a 3 and this then would be 655 The letters are workers marks.

Best bet to see if you have the original grips (provided the luger has not underwent a severe cleaning) is to examine the blackish markings on the back of the grips and the corresponding marks on the frame.This is the telltale sign as opossed to proofs.

Mauser stopped serialling thier grips roundabout late 1939/40 and the eagle over 655 tookover. The exact date I am unsure of.

If you look close you will find that the box you referred to is actually a stick winged eagle with the mauser 655 beneath it. Because the die was all encompassing the mark looks like a box.

If I am wrong on this marking it would be nice to see a photo of the box with the mauser proof.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
lugerlou,
Is this a good example of backlash wear on these grips. Although they do not have a serial number. I belive they are orginal to the 1917 DWM they came off. There are also a lot of hairline cracks throughout the grips, that you cant see.

Download Attachment: Lugergrips 024.jpg
209.38KB

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
refurb

Your grips are a very good example and the small hairline cracks are also good to see as they show honest wartime use.

It's called blackish not backlash, and it comes from oil and moisture causing the wood to turn black with age.

Most of the imperial lugers that I own and have deemed original are usually found with the last two digits of the serial number on the inside. That said if the grips are DWM and not Erfurt grips then the matching of the marking to the residue on the frame would put the grips correct.

One has to remember that these firearms were made as a product for war, they were not museum pieces and the horrific conditions of WW#1 trench warfare saw these lugers in harsh conditions and no doubt the grips saw damage and were replaced from time to time by the armourer's.

The lugers that survived in Germany saw use in the Weimar republic and the second world war and could have been replaced even then.

For me when I examine a Imperial luger or a third reich luger or any other luger that I consider buying I look for honest wear and the mating of the grips, ie --ding in the grip should correspond with ding in frame and so on.

When you find one with serialed grips it is a bonus if honest wear and tear is evident.If no serial numbers then period correct grips are just fine.

Your grips appear to show just that.

I trust this is reassuring to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the best picture I could take of the backside of one of the grips. It appears that it is an eagle 655 marking. However, this marking is not anywhere on the pistol, only an eagle L. Appreciate your responses.

Download Attachment: grips 2.jpg
50.61KB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.