Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were both grips stamped with the last two digits of the serial number, as with the other parts of the pistol?

I have scanned my reference books, and cannot find much info regarding grips.

What about grips that have no marks, would these be armourer's spare parts?

Any help is greatly apreciated.....as always.

'Every day is a learning day'(especialy regarding Lugers)

Regards,

Steve.

·
Administrator
15,075 Posts
Steve, I am hoping some expert opinions will weigh in, as I have my views and it doesn't appear to be the mainstream.

I was under the impression that many luger grips simply are not numbered, many were, but not all FROM the factory. I lean towards this route from a couple of collectors telling me this, but I could have been mistaken?

Ed

·
Registered
594 Posts
Steve -

The answer to this question is likely a multiple part response, depending on the era and manufacturer of the Luger. I recently posted a similar inquiry, but limited my question to late WW-I DWMs. The responses from several respected collectors indicate that most, but not all, such grips were stamped with the last two digits of the serial number.

Luke

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,
I recently obtained a late WW1 DWM luger (1917 or 1918, don't have it here to check) and it had replacement grips with WW2-era inspection stamps on the inside. It also had the last two digits of the luger serial number stamped inside. So, even replacement grip panels may have serial numbers on them. However, I have also seen WW1-era lugers without serial numbers on the inside of the panels and from visual inspection the grips did not seem differentially worn relative to the rest of the pistol.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Its my experience that the serial numbering of military Luger grips was not always consistent.
It varies by date and from manufacture to manufacture.

Erfurt grips are always serial numbered.
Imperial DWM grips are not always numbered.
Mauser grips are not always numbered.
Simson grips appear to be all or almost all numbered.

As the unnumbered grips look the same as the numbered grips for the same year and date, I suspect that the lugers left the factory that way.

Grips bear seriual numbers on about 4 of 5 original DWM or Mauser
military Lugers (one of five does not bear serial numbers) It varies by date. This is a top of the head estimate.
Jan

I am sure that some collectors have kept better track of this than I and could provide better data on specific manufacturers and dates.
Jan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.