Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first Luger. 1940 dated Mauser Banner police contract that was accepted by the Army. E/655 proofed, drilled for sear safety but never installed. This gun is pictured on pg 772 of The Borchardt & Luger Automatic Pistols. Special thanks to Luger_collector for the spare armorer replacement magazine so I could complete the rig.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun
Font Automotive exterior Auto part Machine Automotive lighting
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Paper towel holder
Watch Automotive tire Tire Bumper Portable communications device
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Tints and shades
Bicycle part Wood Audio equipment Gadget Automotive tire
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
The photos shown from the book have the trigger, thumb-safety lever, and locking bolt being strawed. However, in your photos these appear to be blued. The serial numbers of both guns appear to be the same. It also seems like the grips are different from the book photos and your photos. I'm really trying to determine what is going on here because 1084x is 1939 dated Banner according to my database. JIM

·
Registered
563 Posts
The photos shown from the book have the trigger, thumb-safety lever, and locking bolt being strawed. However, in your photos these appear to be blued. The serial numbers of both guns appear to be the same. It also seems like the grips are different from the book photos and your photos. I'm really trying to determine what is going on here because 1084x is 1939 dated Banner according to my database. JIM
It’s two different guns in the book ,his gun is the one on the bottom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AndyH, keep an eye out on the main dealers websites and auction sites. Sometimes it'll be a selling feature in the description, and other times it'll fly under the radar and I'll find out its in a book while researching the piece before I buy it. Auction sites list the auction well in advance with enough time to research it before placing a bid and the big name dealers will usually hold a piece for atleast a day so you can research it without worrying about someone buying it out from under you.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
After giving all of this confusion some major attention and going to my Mauser Luger database, I can assure you that 1084x is in the same military range as are all of the Lugers in the 1040x-1095x range and they are dated 1939. The acceptance is all the same. It is my opinion there was a flaw, a problem, with the receiver and toggle assembly on 1084x and it was replaced with a 1940 dated receiver and Mauser Banner toggle assembly which are both military accepted.
The proof is in the serial number range, and the military acceptance being the same as the 1939 dated military pistols. Regards, Jim Cate
P.S. show us the proof on the breechblock. That will confirm this scenerio.

·
Super Moderator
2,724 Posts
One thing that has come out of this discussion is: There were/are "x range" overlaps in 1939 and 1940. We have 925x, 1066x, 1496x, 2762x, 3841x, 6033x, 6430x, 7974x that are all 1939 dated military (655 accepted) Mauser 42 marked toggles.
Then we find that the range 771-1700 are miltary Mauser Banners, military (655 accepted on the right receivers) that are all 1940 dated but having what appears to be Eagle N nitro proofs.
Hopefully, this information will be acceptable for all who are interested. Looking at the serial numbers you can see what has caused the confusion. How 950 police Banners were determined to be "correct" is beyond me. Thanks for your help. Regards, Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No thank you Jim. Always a pleasure talking to you. I never pass up an opportunity to learn new information and see how different, even slightly, all the variations are. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I truly wish I knew what prompted the military to accept the 950 some commercial banner lugers that were destined for the police. As far as I know, this is the only time the military accepted such lugers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts