Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

Help a newbie looking for a Luger in Canada

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bernse 
G
#1 ·
Good day folks. Just came across this board from my journey on the web!

I am a Canadian and I am looking for a P08 (I have always wanted one ever since I was a little boy.. there is just something about them). However, the catch is I only have a restricted license, so I am going to have to go with something longer than the std 4"(ish) barrel in order to buy one as the regular ones are prohibited and out of my reach.

A couple of questions:

Which ones are my options to get a luger which qualifies as "restricted" in Canada? I know that the Navy and Artillery lugers would fit the bill, but those seem to be tough to find and when you do, big $$$. And, to be honest, I don't like the appearance of the monster barrels on them! :)

I've come accross a Canadian retailer that has a couple of Lugers from Finland that have been reworked to have a 12CM or so barrel. Is anyone familiar with these weapons?

Lastly, can someone *please* recomend a shop (preferebly with a website) in Canada that sells these? I live in a small city in Alberta with no shop nearby to me so I will almost certainly have to buy it over the net or phone. I do not necessarily want an all original, 4 star pistol. I want something that is presentable and shootable but it would not by any means by my everyday shooter nor be all original and matching. I have somewhat of a budget and would have a hard time spending more than $1000 for this. Preferebly 9MM.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks for your time!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Hello:

I am in Ontario. I can understand your situation, the current idiotic gun laws in this country drive me to distraction as well.

I do not know enough, about all of the Luger variations available, to suggest what sort of P-08 might be best for you.

However you might want to explain, in more detail, exactly what restrictions you are suffering under, in order to help the real experts who visit this site help you out.

I think you are talking about the current Canadian laws that prevent you from buying any handguns with bbl less than 104mm ( slightly more than 4" I think it works out to) because you do not already own any such "short" bbl handguns.

If this is your situation, perhaps there is some Luger variation out there that has a bbl just long enough for you to be able to buy it but still shorter than a long Naval / Artillery P-08.

Anyway you know your own situation best so describing it in a bit more detail might be helpful.

I can offer a web site you might find interesting.

http://www.firearmscanada.com

Among other things, it has listings for gun shops all across the country so you might be able to find some help there.

Mike

owing any I can offer an interesting web site for your consideration

#4 ·
Bernse,

Your case is a tough one but not without hope !! If I get it right you want a Military 4 inch ``look alike `` P08.....Restricted Class...

Finnish guns are restricted 4 3/4 in 9mm. Or you can look at the Contract Lugers in 30 Cal with a 4 3/4 in barrel, they are Restricted.....but expensive if you find a nice one.

Another option is to find one of those 4.2 in Re-Barrelled ( & Re-Classified as Restricted ) pistols in 9mm.....They used to be popular 2-3 years ago but have dissapeared since !! And the makers of those nice barrels have stopped producing them !! But some do exists out there......

6 in Re-Barreled shooter type pistols are more what you are likely to find....but you stated you dont like the Navy / Arty looks.....

Best advice is to take your time, check the various auction sites & eventually you'll find what you want.....

Feel free to email me......I'm always glad to help......

MARK

Note: photo of one of my ``shooters `` Cloverleafs @ 20yds kind of standard on a good day......

Download Attachment: F Lft Red Back.jpg
90.96KB

#5 ·
Bernse

Welcome to the forum, you are correct in that unless you have preowned a prohibited firearm with a barrel length of under 104mm it would be unlawfull and impossible for you to now acquire one with original barrel length of under 104mm.

You can however purchase a luger that has been rebarelled with a aftermarket barrel.

You are also correct in your price estimate for a navy or an artillery worthy of even shooter status, well above a thousand.

You may wish to look towards a commercial variation that can be found in the restricted classification.

If you click on my user ID icon you can send me a email and you will get pointed in the right direction.

G
#6 ·
Thanks for all the friendly help and advice, espescially kidvett and his email.

I would very much like to get in contact with those that could help me out.... how would I get a hold of "lugercollector"?

As well, which auction/sale sites would be recomended? I've visited firearmscanada, but it is pretty limited with whats for sale. Any other websites to recomend?

G
#7 ·
quote:Originally posted by im_krell

I think you are talking about the current Canadian laws that prevent you from buying any handguns with bbl less than 104mm ( slightly more than 4" I think it works out to) because you do not already own any such "short" bbl handguns.

If this is your situation, perhaps there is some Luger variation out there that has a bbl just long enough for you to be able to buy it but still shorter than a long Naval / Artillery P-08.
That's it right there, exactly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.