Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at a luger at a gun show today, and was wondering if I should go back and get it tomorrow.

DWM on toggle.
No date on receiver
crown n commercial proofs
serial number 4745 a, the last two digits have been added to sideplate in the military style.
has a sear safety
The magazine is a nickle body with an aluminum base. The base has the serial number. a police eagle L and a 1.
blue was 95%
9mm cal.

From my reading, I think this is a 1920's era commercial that was taken into police use.

Where the military style serials and the sear safety were added.

I know it is hard to say without pictures, but assuming my description is correct. How rare is this pistol and what would it be worth. THe dealer says he is firm at $1100. To me that sounds high for a commercial, even in 9mm. but I am interested in other opinions.

thanks, runner

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
Runner,
There are a lot more experts on here than I, but I would say that that pistol is not rare, and the price is a little high...say $100. or so. It sounds like a nice complete gun all matching and in good shape. I nice piece to own! I may be living in the past, but I hear numbers on this forum that scare the hell out of me. I don't see Lugers that high around me.

Dave

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Frank, The difference is, that it is'nt just a commercial. It may have been prior to police issue. Now it would be considered a commercial police. If it is in 95% condition and has a matching mag.
I would'nt consider $1100 to be unrealistic. Depending on how bad you want it. Is it police unit marked? Minty run of the mill 1920 .30 commercials are priced at $800-$1000+. Personally I don't like the prices, but that's where they are. 20 years ago I did'nt think
gasoline would cost $2.30 a gallon either.

Ron

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, thanks for everyone's input. I did some homework last night and went back and looked at the pistol again today. FIrst off, I was wrong on the suffix, it was a "q" and not an "a". The pistol was basically a twin to #5749q shown on page 138 of Jan's Vol. 5 "Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers". Including the crown G and eagle on the bottom of the barrel by the serial number. I did not buy it for the following reasons. The trigger, takedown lever and safety were not straw. Was I wrong for believing they should be? The owner assured me the bluing on these parts was correct for a police, but the pictures in Jan's book seem to show these parts still strawed. The mag. although a police Mag. with a clear Eagle L, had been remumbered as evidenced by the flat spot milled onto the mag bottom where the number had been stamped. Again, am I correct in assuming that an unaltered mag would have the aluminum base round, and a flat would indicate a renumber?
I was not really bothered by the mag, but I was by the evidence of a reblue.
The pistol showed no indication of ever having a mag safety. The owner would not budge on the price, With this additional information, I would be interested in knowing what others think of the correctness and value of the pistol. I expect it to show up again at the next local show. thanks, Frank

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Frank,

You are correct in your assumptions about both the straw and the magazine base profile. In my opinion the value of this Luger is somewhat less than $600. It sounds like you have made a wise decision based on the evidence at hand. Usually people are congratulated on this Forum for having made a good Luger buy; you are to be congratulated for avoiding a bad one.

--Dwight

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.