Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Klaus said “The first alteration for police came in 1922 ------------- At first the cleaning rod pouch was shortened (the rod, too) and the magazines were used with a double mag. pouch on the belt.”
My question is if the LP08 rods were actually shortened to fit into the short police holster rod pouch? Or what was the standard cleaning rod for that holster?
I presume that the following holster is an example of the 1922 order where the cleaning rod pouch was just shortened and not completely removed. Of interest is the brass rod that came in this holster. In addition a nice and correctly made brass takedown tool was in tool pouch. No marks on rod or tool. This very crisp holster was made by Industriegruppe 1,Stuttgart, 1918.
Thanks, John

Attachments

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet Member
10,547 Posts
John, A very nice example! Expertly modified to a 4" Police by a Master German Saddler. I would love to see some closeup photo's front and back of your brass loading tool...

Jerry Burney

·
10,547 Posts
John, That is fascinating! I can't recall ever seeing a loading tool made of brass. Looks like a quality tool!
Thanks..pretty unique.

Jerry Burney

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,198 Posts
The tool sure doesn't look brass to me judging by the wear on high points. Is it magnetic?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Jerry and Geo
The tool and rod are both non magnetic. And both, especially the tool had accumulated a robust coating of the green verdigris characteristic of brass or more specifically the copper content of brass.
I wonder if these items were made by a bored policeman for his holster?
Or what does the standard rod for this police holster look like?
B Regs,John

·
10,547 Posts
John, I doubt a bored Policeman made this tool. The back requires some tooling. Normally a wood barrel cleaning tool would accomodate this type of holster.

If you study the German Police and their structure it is likely they had no rod for this holster.
Police procedure was generally a group pistol cleaning session. They had special Police cleaning rods with brass collars to prevent muzzle wear and to stop the rod before it bottomed out on the bolt face.
This is clearly not an issue rod and tool. I have seen similar rod handles on smaller pistol rods for the Mauser pistols.
Nevertheless a nice example.

Jerry Burney

·
10,547 Posts
John, Sometime later..1934 , the German Police went to the short loop handled rod stored inside the top of the Luger holster. They were using this system for sometime previous as many WW1 holsters are modified with the apparatus installed in the top. Quite the interesting progression.

Jerry Burney

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.