Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Household hardware
Wood Household hardware Hardwood Varnish Wood stain
Trigger Air gun Shotgun Wood Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Machine Metal Automotive wheel system
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Road surface Asphalt Font Beige Flooring
Motor vehicle Font Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior
Guys- I recently bought 12 WWII handguns from an estate of a private collector. Most of the are easy for me to figure out but have two c96’s one being Chinese and one Lugar. I have been up and down the internet trying to learn which is fun but is at a point now where I need the guys who specialize in these inform me to what I have. First here are the pics of the Chinese. Yes a value range is of course helpful as well as the Chinese C96 will be sold and the Lugar. I am keeping the Actual Mauser C96 which I will pic here as well for my collection
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Household hardware

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
It is a genuine Mauser C96, 1930 model, exported to china. But the left corner of the bolt face is damaged and that, combined with the rough finish will harm the value.

The Chinese markings say 'Made in Germany'.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a genuine Mauser C96, 1930 model, exported to china. But the left corner of the bolt face is damaged and that, combined with the rough finish will harm the value.

That is so helpful thank you. I have the second one pictured here and I am sorry I do not see the damage you are referring to. Side by side everything seems identical

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

here are some pics of the second C96 can the team here help identify what this one is? This one I plan on keeping for my collection. It appears to have newer replaced wood grips.
Vehicle Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bumper Automotive exterior

Hand Revolver Wood Luggage and bags Trigger

Gas Nickel Gun accessory Engineering Automotive tire

Fixture Household hardware Wood Gas Door

Hand tool Grey Wood Metalworking hand tool Household hardware

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

i just figured out the chip in the bolt left corner. I see that now. Any suggestions on what these two might be worth? The made for China one will be for sale. Consulted a few consignors but not sure what I want to do.

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
First, learn how to rotate pictures. Second, learn how to post just one set of pictures. Third, keep all of them...Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, learn how to rotate pictures. Second, learn how to post just one set of pictures. Third, keep all of them...Bill
Ha I know sorry about that - first time posting and my phone seems to have messed it up as I wasn’t sure if the pics had uploaded yet. Then it posted them many times . Should do this from my desk top not my phone

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
There are still some of these pistols in Asia. Not sure what's the language he speaks in the following video.. Pakistan, or Afghanistan?? But his pistol is good.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I am not sure why you chose the gun you did to keep? value wise, it does have replaced grips. looks like possibly other replaced parts such as the extractor, it has a different color in your pics. Unless you are keeping it based on ability to shoot? The Chinese marked appears to be all correct from the outside and are desirable. If your building a "collectible" collection rather then a "shooting" collection, I would tend to agree with Bill, keep them all. The first 2 as a collectible and the 3rd to shoot. Sounds like you made a good haul and an instant collection with your deal! 12 guns from one estate!!!!! outstanding!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Three C-96 Mausers in one fell swoop is great. Personally, unless there was something wrong with a particular pistol, I'd keep all three.

My first thought when I watched alvin's video and saw that guy smile was that he's the perfect image of a "mad bomber". If he could get that Model 712 to run properly, it would be a lot of fun to shoot.

In the 1990's I visited Keng Firearms in Atlanta and was able to select a C-96 from their recent imports from China. I selected one that was all matching but that had a re-lined bore. The serial number is 119996 so it's pre-war and much earlier than the OP's. I shot it some and a few years back the lock mechanism broke. The metal where it broke appeared to have crystalized. It required three attempts but I obtained a replacement lock mechanism from Numrich and it's now serviceable once more... just no longer matching. I only shoot my reloads in it so I know that they are not hot or abusing the pistol. Factory loads supposedly gave 1400 or more fps while I keep mine to about 1200 fps with an 86 ~ 90 grain bullet.

Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First, welcome to the forum. Second, I am not sure why you chose the gun you did to keep? value wise, it does have replaced grips. looks like possibly other replaced parts such as the extractor, it has a different color in your pics. Unless you are keeping it based on ability to shoot? The Chinese marked appears to be all correct from the outside and are desirable. If your building a "collectible" collection rather then a "shooting" collection, I would tend to agree with Bill, keep them all. The first 2 as a collectible and the 3rd to shoot. Sounds like you made a good haul and an instant collection with your deal! 12 guns from one estate!!!!! outstanding!
Could you steer me in a direction here.... I presume the C96 that was stated above as being 1930 and sold to China would be less valuable than the other one with the aftermarket grips? The 1930 looks to be in rougher condition as well. I just want to keep the one that honestly is the best and most desirable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could you steer me in a direction here.... I presume the C96 that was stated above as being 1930 and sold to China would be less valuable than the other one with the aftermarket grips? The 1930 looks to be in rougher condition as well.
Hi Jon,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Most often, Chinese guns are less valuable because of their condition.
Now, it is almost impossible to find a 90%+ C96 with military provenance.
Most of the guns that are, were likely looted in 1945 or refurbished later on.
Personally, I think that Chinese-marked C96 should add value, assuming comparble condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Jon,
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Most often, Chinese guns are less valuable because of their condition.
Now, it is almost impossible to find a 90%+ C96 with military provenance.
Most of the guns that are, were likely looted in 1945 or refurbished later on.
Personally, I think that Chinese-marked C96 should add value, assuming comparble condition.
With the chipped firing bolt and wear an tear on it, you think it is still $1400 or so for value? Less more?

·
Registered
393 Posts
With the chipped firing bolt and wear an tear on it, you think it is still $1400 or so for value? Less more?
I would say a bit less, if you plan to shoot it, i would try to get a replacement bolt (and keep the original one).
The damage is likely to have come from (too hot) Soviet/Russian/Yugoslav ammo.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Use only ammo marked for .30 Mauser applications........Commie block (and other) stuff is for sub-guns. Could call the ammo situation poor planning but..... .30 Mauser guns came first.....so........one must tread carefully.

PJH

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Could you steer me in a direction here.... I presume the C96 that was stated above as being 1930 and sold to China would be less valuable than the other one with the aftermarket grips? The 1930 looks to be in rougher condition as well. I just want to keep the one that honestly is the best and most desirable.
Thats a tough call without all the facts and just going on a few pics you posted. As I stated, The one with the aftermarket grips appears to have replaced parts. If so it is delegated to the shooter range. worth around 900 to 1100. The Chinese marked one appears to at least be matched on the outside. These were known to be used hard and thus known to have mixed parts because they were kept in service for so long. hence it would be considered 'correct' or "normal" for a Chinese C96. I have seen these run as high as 1500. some more if they are all matched. without knowing the internal parts and if they are matched its tough to say. If the one which has replaced grips is indeed all matched and just needs a set of original grips you could bring that price back up. at which point they would both be comparable. Sorry I can't give more information but just generalities but that is what determines value if you really only want to keep one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts