Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P-38 that my cousin brought back at the end of WWII. It is a cyq, serial number 7258C. The internal serial number is 297. Barrel is marked B 35. I think this was made in 1944, but would like better info. Thanks.
Harvey

·
Registered
410 Posts
Late May 1943. Look once more please, according my researches the internal number ULG should be 29 Z instead 297. The grips are reddish-brown with wooden splitters or chocolate brown? Some markings inside grips (MD intervined, 1W - 41??) Some asterisks on barrel assy or frame or slide?? Thanks for details!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jan:

It still looks like 297 to me, although the "7" could be a light strike? The grips are chocolate brown with the intertwined MD and 1W-41 inside. The barrel assembly has Eagle 88 on both sides, and an eagle over "something"? (hard to read))twice on the right side. One is on the locking block, the other behind the block. The right side of the slide has an Eagle 88, followed by an Eagle over something?, then another Eagle 88. The left side of the frame has the serial number followed by and Eagle 88. Sorry I can't read those Eagle "somethings", but my magnifying glass just can't make it out. Hope the above helps.

Tha magazine has an Eagle 88 on the backstrap, near the base. It does not hold the slide open, by the way.

Thanks again

Harvey

·
Registered
410 Posts
Many thanks for comprehensive description. If the magazine body is welded together with small round spot welds diameter about .07 " (2 mm) it is so called Spreewerk made (hard to find & undoubtedly matching) magazine. Till tody I am not able to say something about origin Spreewerk magazines, but undoubtedly no magazines were made in Hradek nad Nisou (Grottau) or Chrastava (Kratzau), both Czech republic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jan:

Thanks for your response and the information about the magazine.

The magazine has 7 small welds in the seam on the left side of the magazine, so I believe it is an original Spreewerk magazine. It has been in the pistol since my cousin brought it back to the US in 1945. It is in pretty good condition, but it will not hold the slide open. I have used other P-38 magazines in the pistol, and they do hold the slide open so I'm wondering if this is an anomaly. The follower on the Spreewerk magazine is undamaged, as are the feed lips. A bit of a mystery to me.

Do you still believe this pistol was produced in May, 1943?

Harvey

·
Copper Bullet Member
977 Posts
Harvey, I would have said April 1943, BUT my data assumes a constant production quantity. I always say my data is within a month either way. I couldn't argue with a May 1943 date in the least!!

Close enough!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
quote:Originally posted by harvey

Yes I believe. According my researches 10000 pieces monthly rate were reached for first time in June 1943. Source: Mr. Cihal, former forced worker - acceptance dpt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Frank

Harvey, I would have said April 1943, BUT my data assumes a constant production quantity. I always say my data is within a month either way. I couldn't argue with a May 1943 date in the least!!

Close enough!!
Frank:

Thanks for the confirmation on the "Spring 1943" production date. Any thoughts on the Spreewerk magazine that will not hold the slide open?

Harvey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quote:Originally posted by Jan

quote:Originally posted by harvey

Yes I believe. According my researches 10000 pieces monthly rate were reached for first time in June 1943. Source: Mr. Cihal, former forced worker - acceptance dpt.
Jan:

I appreciate your efforts, and many thanks for the useful information you have provided.

Harvey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron:

Thanks for the information on the Eagle "somethings". I think I need a more powerful magnifying glass to see the rest of the mark.

Harvey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.