Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow friends,

I am thinking about buying this Luger. Can you identify the Luger?

I found out it is made by Mauser in 1938, but i cannot track the serial number.

The thing that wurries me are the markings on the underside of the barrel. Never seen it before.

Can you help me?

The flying duchtman,

Herman

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello my fellow friends,

The thing that wurries me are the markings on the underside of the barrel. Never seen it before.

Can you help me?

The flying duchtman,

Herman
Nice camera work but you should download them to this site. A lot of members will not download photos from other sites...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hello my fellow friends,

Can you help me?

The flying duchtman,

Herman
Appears to have a replaced barrel--not sure of the markings ahead of the Crown/N. The grips are post-1938 replacements, too. The serial number on the frame front appears non-original, too. Overall, a nice looking parts luger with a 1938 chamber date. Just my opinion based on the images provided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appears to have a replaced barrel--not sure of the markings ahead of the Crown/N. The grips are post-1938 replacements, too. The serial number on the frame front appears non-original, too. Overall, a nice looking parts luger with a 1938 chamber date. Just my opinion based on the images provided.
Thanks man, they are asking €1.600,- for it. Seems i very bit to high than.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,113 Posts
Looks reblued and the frame serial number does not look original. A 1938 S/42 should have a frame with a Mauser hump.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The barrel has been replaced and it looks to me to be an East German made replacement, judging from the crown/N stamp. (Some, but not all EG barrels had a three digit date stamp on them such as 953 for September, 1953) The mark behind the printing on the underside of the barrel may be a West German or reunited Germany Eagle/N proof but it's not well defined enough to say for certain.

As much as the receiver rails extend beyond the frame, the frame has surely been scrubbed of the original serial number and re-stamped with a new one. As tharpo observed, the frame should have the Mauser hump in 1938. The receiver has clearly been refinished and so have other parts as the bluing over the pitting shows. Part of the stock lug has been removed.

I don't know what Lugers sell for in the Netherlands but 1600 Euros sounds awfully high to me. An all original Luger with original finish, nice bore and matching serial numbers might be worth it but not that one in my opinion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts