Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a M 30 Luftwaffe drilling that he is in the mood to sell. I would like to buy it but a recent article in the American Rifleman has complicated matters. The July 2017 issue on page 96 lists a M 30 with case and excellent condition at $22,000. His M 30 does not have a case and the case harding is not as vivid as the one shown.

He has allowed me to take some pictures but requested that I not show serial number or date of manufacture. He said as a new owner I could reveal whatever I wanted but felt that the new owner (hopefully me) should have that option. If I can get it bought I will post all. Thanks for help in giving me some idea what it might be worth.

Geo.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,702 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It seems from the pictures that the receiver had silvered with little case color remaining.
I cannot tell from the pictures the condition of the blue, but assuming it is about 90%, I would estimate a value of about $7500-9500 retail.
A truly mint complete cased example can bring $20-25K.
There were a couple of Luftwaffe drillings on GB recently, both in mediocre shape and with asking prices in excess of $20K. Not sure if they got sold - You can look at the closed auctions on GB for the past 3 months.
Of the 2 drillings mentioned in the above post, Legacy drilling appears to be a better of the two and is fairly priced at $18000.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Legacy also had a sold one: https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/recently-sold/sauer-m30-luftwaffe-survival-drilling.html

Putting the detail aside, there is one thing to notice among these samples: high condition might be common among them, and many samples have cases. Let's assume all of them are problem free, original. In a domain with many samples in high condition, those mid condition ones, low condition ones, ones without cases have to give deep discount,,, unless it has special provenance. You may take that into consideration, and save serious amount of money on relatively lower condition ones... depends on your need.

·
2,360 Posts
First, let me say that based on a relatively large number that I have in my Sauer database, they are not rare.....a little bit scarce perhaps. I noticed in the photos that a great deal of the case-color appears to be heavily worn as is the Eagle/Swastika on the buttstock. All other markings such as the caliber, guage, Luftwaffe acceptance are correct. It is hard to see what percent of blue remains on the barrels. As Alvin noted, high condition is relatively common with these Sauers, but not so many have their original aluminum cases, much less all of the accessories that go with the cased Drilling. So I would agree the Drillings that are in mid to low condition would have to be priced much less. If the seller will not deal with you I would have to pass on this particular Sauer. Regards, Jim (author of the Sauer reference books)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Serial and barrel date

To all who responded, thanks for your help.

The serial number is 338234 and barrel date is 4-42.

Geo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts