Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it at an antique store last week. All serials match on all parts inside and out including the magazine. It is a 1936 S/42. Underneath with the serial number 7414 is a "k". The condition is flawless. Checkering is sharp, operates perfectly. The small parts are blued, not the "straw colors", so maybe re-blue? Any more info on age, rarity and value in this condition appreciated.
luger3.jpg

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
welcome to the forum. To be able to accurately give an assessment one would need more photos. but it appears it has been reblued which will effect its value.

·
Registered
287 Posts
No maybe, definite reblue...letter suffix range ran from "f" through "p"...(w/no "j" letter suffix ever used)...

Edward

·
Registered
929 Posts
Since it has been refinished, it falls into the category of nice shooter. Some people like those so a market does exist for them, but it is hard to give a definitive value. And especially difficult given just one photo. Value would be less than an equivalent collectible for that year; GunBroker and other auctions can supply market info on those values.

You can improve the appearance by removing the bluing from the parts that should be strawed and re-strawing them yourself, home ovens work. You'll need to do a search for threads explaining how to do it.

Re: the magazine, almost all of those I see at gun shows or from sellers who are not knowledgable Luger collectors are faked. We would need photos to assess and even then it can be difficult.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your help. I sort of want to leave it alone. It is a really nice reblued shooter then. . It came with a Medal, 4 boxes of old ammo, 2 extra mags. For $900
IMG_20210218_143953628.jpg
IMG_20210218_153322947.jpg
IMG_20210218_153336175.jpg
IMG_20210218_153343096.jpg
IMG_20210218_153350746.jpg
IMG_20210112_203426077.jpg

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Assuming the bore is nice, I'd say you did very well for $900 dollars.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Assuming the bore is nice, I'd say you did very well for $900 dollars.
I agree...at least the re-blue was tastefully done...not a hack "bubba" job...

As Doubs mentioned, if the rifled bore is decent (say 8/10), I think you did fairly well, including the amenities it came with...another plus, the pistol being a 1936 Mauser...a QUALITY build...

It would be nice to see an illuminated bore scope of the barrel...Congrats on your pickup...😏

Edward

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello: As to what these guys said a reblue is of lesser value for all the reasons given. Mine is as well.
One thing I have noticed over the years is alot of time a really well done reblue can hold a place in a collection till a nice original comes along. There is a market for this kind of piece just for that reason. In my humble opinion, especially for a newer collector or just some one who wants to own one or two. Looks like a nice cased 1st class Iron cross there.
I would say for the price paid you did very well, I would pay that all day long for a nice Luger and Iron cross together.
Ryche

·
Registered
929 Posts
I agree you did quite well for $900. I have several pistols in my collection that are completely or partially re-blued for use as shooters.

From time to time I read in these forums that refinish 'destroys collector value'. I respect this view but do not agree with it. Refinish changes and usually reduces collector value but "value" is per se determined by the buyer. At $900, this pistol is an excellent value to a buyer willing to accept the refinish.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Holy cow, congrats, you did better than great, the cased EK1 min. $300. 2 extra mags, at least $100 each, you got yourself a niceLuger for $400!!!! Where's this antique store?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy cow, congrats, you did better than great, the cased EK1 min. $300. 2 extra mags, at least $100 each, you got yourself a niceLuger for $400!!!! Where's this antique store?
thanks buddy. I'm happy with my first luger. What does EK1 mean?

thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks for posting the additional pics. Yes, for $900 you did well. the gun itself would easily sell for $1000 to $1100 for a nice shooter. the extra mag could easily be sold for 150. the cased medal assuming its legit would be another easy 300 to 400 and the ammo of course another 100 dollars . so you made a great score.

·
Registered
41 Posts
EK1 is short for the German words for Iron Cross 1st class. It should have a pin on the back for attachment to a uniform.
The 2nd class EK was awarded in an envelope and hung from a ribbon. Hard to find a real Iron Cross 1st class these days, fakery has uped its game and messed up the collector market. Much as with Lugers and other pistols and rifles of the era.
Ryche

1 - 18 of 18 Posts