Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a Luger person and know nothing about them. However my son would like one but is not old enough for his own FFL003. SOG is showing Nazi marked very good condition for $639. No info about manufacturer(s),years or codes available. Link is below. I am not an SOG fan and know they tend to over-grade, but might consider this if the pricing seems right. Could some of the Luger experts weigh in on this? TIA

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Regarding SOG, I might suggest that you stay away from their imported stuff. Back in July 26, 1996 there was an add in Gun List advertising Colt Sistema .45ACP blue @$269.00 and add $30.00 for select model and $20.00 each for matching magazine! These were Navy pistols with marking.

I ordered one and had it shipped to my local dealer. I paid the $30.00 for a select model and $20.00 for matching magazine and $269.00 for the gun plus shipping cost and $25.00 to my FFL for the transfer.

I guess I was a little naive! When it arrived, it looked like the UPS truck dragged it all the way from Lebanon, Ohio. We never were able to get the magazine out of the gun.

I called SOG and they said they must have sent the wrong gun so they charged my credit card again and sent my FFL dealer another gun. When it arrived it was no better than the first one. Both were returned and I was out $75.00 for shipping and FFL transfer cost!

I then went and ordered a brand new Colt Gold Cup National Match .45ACP in blue with a Colt .22 conversion that they made a short run on!

My advice would be to stay away from SOG and buy a Luger from a local source where you can handle and inspect it or purchase from a dealers like Shattuck or Simpson LTD. Just my two bits worth.

George

·
Administrator
15,561 Posts
I have not had bad experiences with SOG, but unless you can look at it, you can get a "shooter" luger for a better price. I believe these are prices about $100-$150 to much. Mainly because you get whatever they send you. If you could hand-pick, then it would be worth it, as you "might" find a nice rep piece, but still import marked and probably, or more than likely unmatched.

Now, if you want a rep piece, don't want the hassle of looking for one, have an extra $150 dollars, then buy one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by Weimar_Police

I have not had bad experiences with SOG, but unless you can look at it, you can get a "shooter" luger for a better price. I believe these are prices about $100-$150 to much. Mainly because you get whatever they send you. If you could hand-pick, then it would be worth it, as you "might" find a nice rep piece, but still import marked and probably, or more than likely unmatched.

Now, if you want a rep piece, don't want the hassle of looking for one, have an extra $150 dollars, then buy one.
Thanks for the speedy reply. You response is what I thought it might be. I collect Mosins and know that market, pricing and vendors fairly well and have gotten to the point of either wanting to see photos of the exact piece or physically inspecting, before buying unless from a speciality dealer who is well-regarded and can act as my eyes. While I have had a couple nice "luck-of-the-draw" rifles from the volume dealers, we are also talking about rifles that cost $59-$99 so the risk/reward ratio is tolerable. I get a bit more antsy at the thought of spending $700 for a "grab-bag" gun.

G

·
G

·
I have ordered several handguns and rifles from SOG in the past. The only ones that were good were the Mosin Nagant 1895 pistols for $50 from a couple years ago. Everything else I have ordered from them I have sent back. A couple of Star 9mm's looked like they had come from of the bottom of the ocean. I will not deal with them any more. I did get a nice shooter Luger from AIM a few years back...but it does not look like they have had any for a while. Also, Sarco in NJ had some a while ago, not sure how the quality was on those....

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
I'm pretty sure that SOG is NOT the importer. As can be seen from Brian's pictures above, the gun was imported by Century Arms International of Vermont. I have had pretty good experiences with CAI. If you pay extra for a select piece, it usually is. Skip the middleman and go directly to CAI if they have any left AND you want a DDR refinish.

Dave

G

·
the electropencil just ruins that Luger for me. So does the pinged out old serials. YUCK! I understand the import mark issue, but does it need to be EP'd in HUGE letters instead of discretely stamped?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ogstad--thanks much for posting the pics. That verifies what I thought the SOG "quality" might be.

I think I will go in the direction of a P-38 via Dan's Sporting Goods, who is a board sponsor. Talked to him today and he has non-CIA imports in unissued condition. While I do understand that these are alloy frame and not the original WWII era pistol, price and condition seem right. I fact, I can get two with consecutive numbers for the cost of a $600 shooter Lugar. What an expensive game you guys are into!

G

·
Hey there....I'm new here at this board and wanted to contribute pics of my SOG Luger. I ordered via the web on Saturday the 8th and received it yesterday, the 12th. I called on Monday to request that the handpick fee of 25 bucks was added. Valerie from SOG was extremely helpful and I only asked for a Luger with Nazi proofs. I was hesistant to order from SOG due to all the horror stories, but I must say that I'm very pleased with what I received. I'm a complete novice at Lugers (I have Garand-itis) so any feedback would be appreciated. It looks like they sent a 1940/42 model which was made by Mauser. Fortunately it looks like all numbers match. Here are some pics:

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
For an SOG Luger, it looks pretty good!! The worst thing is the importers mark in such an obvious place. Is there an 84 on the sideplate? It may have been a dip reblue, but your photo's make it look good to me. Good luck with it.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To me, your pics appear to show pitting and rust, although the gun looks better than the previous example of SOG item posted. This may be a factor of your pics and not the actual item...no flame meant here. I must say the CAI "billboard" ruins the whole thing for me. They have also ruined many MNs with this tatoo. I will pass on SOG Lugars, but thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:Originally posted by Olefogey

I'm pretty sure that SOG is NOT the importer. As can be seen from Brian's pictures above, the gun was imported by Century Arms International of Vermont. I have had pretty good experiences with CAI. If you pay extra for a select piece, it usually is. Skip the middleman and go directly to CAI if they have any left AND you want a DDR refinish.

Dave
CAI has ruined more guns with their "dot-billboard" than any other importer I have ever seen. TN Guns does a much better job at marking to remain within the law, IMHO.

G

·
There is absolutely no pitting or rust whatsoever. That orange mark was simply dried gunk that I scratched off with my fingernail. The gun is dirty and needs a good cleaning. I guess that can give the appearance of pitting in the pics.

G

·
Agreed. I took these pics about 5 minutes after I removed it from the shipping box. There's all kinds of particles all over the gun that need to be removed.

G

·
Looks allright to me except for the god-awful CAI butchering on the frame. Maybe you could massage some cold-blue into the dots to make them less obvious?

Is the side-plate matching? Doesn't look like an "84" in the pics...???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.