Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up with a couple of magazines. Other than it being a 1935 Mauser, I'm a bit in the dark on these. Finish looks original. My concern is one of the proof marks on the left side of the frame looks double stamped. Don't know if this was common back in the day or if this was someone's attempt to pass this gun off as something it's not. Any info is greatly appreciated. Only a 3 digit serial number. Most lugers i see have 4 digit serial numbers. No import marks that I can find.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
Not sure I like the eagle 311 double stamp… but otherwise looks ok. A 3 digit with a suffix is like weapon number 40,000 as every ten thousand was a new set of 1-9999
see the faq here on the forum
Im north of Spokane

·
2,468 Posts
Ed, it's early enough to have the E/211 acceptance stamp and the Weimar-type eagle on the receiver and barrel. I have no problem with it at all. Back in the day, I had a G-date in the low 'c' suffix range. It looked very much like the late K date examples, and that included the early type of numbering dies like you see on this 'd' suffix example. JIM

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
a very nice looking G date...Bill

·
Copper Bullet Member
865 Posts
Without pulling out the books... K date (1934) Lugers started at serial #1 to 10,000 no suffix, and continued with 1a to about 1000a. The first G date (1935) began around #1000a and continued into the f suffix. Mauser used continuous serial #'s until the end of Luger production in 1942. When #10,000z was reached, they began again at #1 no suffix. They went through the alphabet 3 1/2 times.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
There are not many "G" dates with the E/211 acceptance mark and most of them are in the "d" block. I think a few thousand. My "G" date is about 2000 pistols later at 26xxd. It has the same E/211 and what I call the tall 5's, like you see on this Luger.
Pat

Reactions: Edward T

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Gentlemen. So no concern with what looks like it was double stamped? One E/211 stamp on top of another E/211 stamp. As if the first stamp attempt wasn't deep enough so a second stamp was done?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And any info about the 2 mags would be appreciated. I'm assuming the blank one was just a field replacement. the other with the Eagle 63 stamp would have originally been issued with what Lugers?

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
1,190 Posts
I almost thought we had matching magazines! Produced a few
39 p5849 (M.JPG
minutes apart. They are from 1939.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The 211 double strike looks fine to me...

I also have a 3 digit S/N "G"-date...165 "e"...

The pistol itself looks fine to me also...very nice...no worries...

Edward

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
Ed, it's early enough to have the E/211 acceptance stamp and the Weimar-type eagle on the receiver and barrel. I have no problem with it at all. Back in the day, I had a G-date in the low 'c' suffix range. It looked very much like the late K date examples, and that included the early type of numbering dies like you see on this 'd' suffix example. JIM
It was the double stamp and that it was clearer looking than the other two acceptance and proof

1 - 14 of 14 Posts