Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick answer. Next question,this frame is a 1936 S/42 or thats what the rest of pistol is. numbers all match. grips are not numbered. Third reich lugers states that 1936 p block ends at 4500. am i correct to assume that this is a mismatched frame, receiver and barrel. John

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
John
The change from the 1936 to 1937 date is based on a best estimate, 4500p. Also, there may be some overlap in the transition. Serial number 5238p is certainly within the ball park of 4500p.
You said "numbers all match......am i correct to assume that this is a mismatched frame, receiver and barrel." If the numbers all match why do you assume that the frame, barrel and receiver are mismatched??
If your 1936 dated Luger is matched depends on the details of your Luger.
Jan

·
Silver Bullet Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again, sorry to take so long to answer. I did not know that there was that much of a transition. I hope this luger is matched. It was supposed to be original but as you can see it has been reblued. Sideplate outside number matches but has a 4 inside. i am sending more pictures. Hope they shed more light on this pistol.

Download Attachment: DSCN0130.JPG
194.56KB

Download Attachment: DSCN0131.JPG
193.93KB

Download Attachment: DSCN0125.JPG
167.17KB

Download Attachment: DSCN0129.JPG
139.5KB

Download Attachment: DSCN0128.JPG
155.59KB

Download Attachment: DSCN0132.JPG
102.6KB

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi John,

If a seller sold you your luger as an "original" and it turns out it was not, did you contact the seller about a return and refund ?

One can claim the seller fraudulently sold you the gun...

MN State is a hot spot for boosted lugers...beware...

·
Silver Bullet Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Pete, I first saw the pistol on this forum. It looked good so I called the seller. Seller said it was a vet pickup, wifes uncle. You no what they say about something that sounds to good to be true. Seller refused to take it back. Anyway it is a good shooter. I just paid too much 875.00. I live in MN and lugers of any condition are not to plentiful. Some on the forum says you can find good shooters for 500-600. Not in this part of the country. Send some my way for that kind of money as I can sell all you can get for 800-900. Thanks again, John

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Hi John,

The Waffenfabrik-USA shops in certain regions of the USA have a tendency to "vacuum up" all the worn, tired lugers at rock bottom prices. This is the cottage industry (and probably some high-tech outlets) that are reworking such old lugers into new, minty-looking, and rare pieces. You can see some of these characters at gun shows buying up all the old & tired lugers...

Too bad about one of the GunBoard members not willing to take back a luger sold as original that is not. May some bad Karma find its way back to that person...

I have paid $ 750-900 for most of my shooters...but all have their original finish (all at a strong 95%) and usually have only 1-2 parts replaced. $ 875 is not a bad price...especially if you can have fun shooting the piece...

·
Silver Bullet Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Pete, I want to clear up one of my postings. Seller of this luger is not a regular forum member. He is someone who posted one time as far as I know. Shot this luger again today. Pistol seemed very accurate and evrything works as it should. I cast my own bullets, lyman 356402 out of wheelweights. Load was a very light 3.2 gr. red dot. I will get my moneys worth as a shooter! My other 9mm fun shooter is a S&W 5906. The luger points better and feels better in your hand. Also is more accurate than the S&W. Collecting is great but shooting is more fun. John

·
Gold Bullet Member
411 Posts
OK, The neophyte strikes again.
I agree it looks real good. There's no halos but does that make it not right on a 36? Jan makes a comment in Third Reich Lugers that some well informed collectors contend that K,G,1936 and early 37 have high quality hot salt finish (pg14)Would this mean no halos? Do most 36's show halos? The photos of the serial number on the front frame shows some rust patina that appears right. Please educate me with some specifics if at all possible. I understand that photos are not always clear enough to be positive. From the photos what jumps out to make this not right?
Thanks,
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
tomathvl
In the text on page 14 Third Reich Lugers, it is stated that "The early Lugers produced by Mauser presented a high quality rust blue finish." The footnote that you found on page 14 Third Reich Lugers was presented as an exclamation that some well informed collectors are not correct.
The following posts covering strawed Mauser military Lugers (K-1937)show photographs of the barrel serial number. Each displays a halo around at least some of the serial number digits. My experience is the same as Daves.

* S/42 CODE-K DATE, sn1056 Jan C Still
------------------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=283
* S/42 G DATE, ARMY, NAVY, POLICE Jan C Still
------------------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=590
*1936 S/42 POLICE, sn 6584g, rig Jan C Still
------------------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=201
* 1937 S/42, sn 8766p, STRAWED WITH ACCESS. Jan C Still
------------------------- http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=178

·
Gold Bullet Member
411 Posts
Jan, Dave,
Thanks for the information. I see the halos on the examples.
Jan, if the footnote on pg 14 is suppose to convey the impression that the collectors are wrong in their opinion about blue methods, it completely escapes my reading.
Thanks,
Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.