Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was wondering whether anyone out there can help out with this model I am currently having a look at? My main preoccupations are the magazine (which I am informed is not the original) and, even more critically, the locking bolt and the trigger - as can be perceived from the photographs attached - are made of brass (and are therefore not original). Any information you can furnish, I'd be grateful. I can comprehend the logic behind the replacement of the magazine, seeing the pistol was refurbished in 1929 (it was issued in May 1914). However, that the refurbishment involved reworking the locking bolt and trigger, and that the trigger should have the s/n inscribed on it, well, I have been so far unable to support such action with evidence. Thanks in advance! Mantoine

Attachments

· Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Hi. I suppose you used a magnet to test if they are not steel?

I cannot imagine that an arsenal would issue a luger with brass parts. These would be too fragile to survive use.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will ask the seller to check them for me. When I inspected the piece, it did seem as if the parts were brass, rather than strawed steel. I am familiar with german guns and quite well acquainted with the golden-yellow tint of strawed parts. No, these (at least to the eye) look very much like brass. Will revert. What is strange is that the trigger bears the same numbering (s/n last two digits) as all the other parts. Thanks for your input, guys - so much appreciated! Mantoine

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too believe the pistol to be original. My concern is the brass parts - been researching these for a couple of days but I could not locate any reference to parts such as trigger and locking bolt being reworked in brass during a refurbishment. In the meantime, as per above, have asked seller to check the parts in question with a magnet - just so as to determine whether they are solid brass or brass-coated steel. Thanks. Mantoine

· Registered
14,177 Posts
Trigger, side plate, and TD lever (and some other small parts) should only have the last 2-digits of the serial number stamped. The TD lever for this Dutch pistol would be stamped along the bottom edge in what is know as in the "commercial" style of number-stamping.

Here is a photo of the original magazine style for some of the Dutch Lugers with the spring-clip in place to make removal of the wooden bottom easier from the metal tube.

If the trigger and TD lever were really made of brass, they would look more like the Unit marking BRASS plate attached on the left side of the pistol...in color. Your photos seem to show these 2 parts are steel with the straw-coloring of heat-tempering.

Look forward to your report of "magnet" testing.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All. First of all, a great many thanks for your kind support and prompt attention to my problem. Yes, you were right in stating that the parts are NOT brass. They are attracted to a magnet - it is just that, in the refurbishment, they got re-strawed, and the Dutch armourer obviously treated them in a particular manner, different from the other parts - hence the difference in colour. Again, many thanks and best regards from (too) sunny Malta! Mantoine

· Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I think no Dutch armorer was responsible for this. Probably a later attempt at prettying the faded original straw.

If it was my gun, I'd remove the gold color and restraw it. This is just too much and does not look right.

· Registered
5,805 Posts
I think no Dutch armorer was responsible for this. Probably a later attempt at prettying the faded original straw.

If it was my gun, I'd remove the gold color and restraw it. This is just too much and does not look right.
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.