Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please verify the following serial number is indeed a police manufacture Eagle L Mauser HSC: 845806

Thanks very much

·
Registered
246 Posts
In the absence of German WWII police procurement records, it's virtually impossible to confirm that a particular pistol was one of the thousands officially issued to German police units.

As you know, for most of the war, police procured pistols were stamped with the Eagle/L at the left rear of the trigger guard. Near wars end, the L was replaced by an F. However, it's been reported that some WWII commercial pistols, not just HSc's, have been recently altered with police acceptance stamping dies.

Having a complete police rig...pistol, two matching magazines and a police proofed holster is about the best confirmation today.

Never let the most important things be at the mercy of the least important.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could someone please who has Jan's Axis pistol's book, look up the serial number range above and confirm that it checks out as being a Eagle L. It should be around page 223, I emailed Pancho and he confirmed the serial number on a Eagle F that is for sale by FGS Inc, but it was too expensive. I just found this Eagle L for sale at a local gun shop that is more reasonable. Again its a Mauser HSC Eagle L serial number is 8458xx. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
When Axis Pistols was assembled almost 20 years ago, I had a data base that that listed police HSc serial numbers (page 228). These serial numbers were collected prior to most of the faking. Recorded in this data base are police eagle/L serial numbers 845740 and 846170, which brackets your 845806.

If you post a detailed photograph of the eagle/L on your HSc, it could be compared to the eagle/L on other HSc's.
Jan

Jan C Still
Site Owner - Operator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also this is the holster he is trying to sell me also, he says its marked Gustav Genschow & Co. Alstadt-Hachenburg, Westerwald (code jhg42).

Download Attachment: Mauser Holster.jpg
131.41KB

·
Registered
246 Posts
As Jan suggested, could you post a closeup, detailed photo of the police proof on the pistol? And closeup of the stampings on the holster.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Sean : You have the correct holster for a military HSc Mauser, just not police. Should be a 1942 Schambach either ersatz or leather. The ersatz would be hallmarked 1943 though.

kk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note: click on the close up photos at the bottom of the new screen drag the boarder of the entire screen to make the image much larger

·
Administrator
13,140 Posts
Sean, the new pictures come up as thumbnails, then expand when clicked on. It is how the new board is configured. If you don't have pop-ups allowed it may not work or may work incorrectly.

Ed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do they work for you guys i have pop up stop, but i have it turned off,allowing pop ups.

Could anyone tell me what year my pistol was made?

Does anyone else think the holster is not correct for a police pistol? If not does anyone know were i could find a schambach or erastz holster?

I was also checking out Bill Bureau's Militaria, he's known for importing Janke reproduction German uniforms, the best reproductions that money can buy, He also has holsters starting at $75 has anyone had any experience with this guy? Anyone bought his holsters?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks very much now i can try and get a holster with the proper date to match the pistol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its a very light stamp, but its their if you look, also the serial number does check out as being a Mauser HSC Eagle L, Jan confirmed.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have an HSC serial number 729389 which is police marked with the holster and mags. The gun has been in my collection for some time and after reading this thread discovered it is out of the serial number range of reported guns. What do you think?

Here is the gun:
Download Attachment: HSC.jpg
40.28KB

The E/L marking:
Download Attachment: HSCEF.jpg
32.16KB

The holster:
Download Attachment: HSCHOLSTER.jpg
49.91KB

Holster close up:
Download Attachment: HSCHOLSTERCLOSE.jpg
62.8KB

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mark:
WWII German police procured HSc pistols throughout the war, not just in one big lot. When procurement was made, it was usually for a number of pistols. The pistols that bracket your serial number would most likely be also police marked. Jan simply wanted to illustrate this for Sean, the owner of 845806.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Thanks!

After checking Axis pistols it is in the correct range for a first variation high polish HSC.

Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts