Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am a ww2 firearms collector but have just picked up my first luger a 37 S/42 numbers matching non import marked gi bringback. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the history of the gun but would love some more information if available from any of the experts here. Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Luger.

The fxo magazine was made by Haenel Schmeisser and is typically seen with later (1941-1942) pistols. When these are unnumbered, they "match" all the Mauser Lugers made in that period, and have value as a result. They are also the best Luger magazines for shooting, thanks to the precision milled design.

Much of the original finish may have worn or been "cleaned" from this Luger. Some came from the factory with rather thin original bluing as Mauser shifted to salt bluing that year. Your Luger has characteristics from the later part of the year.

Do download our FAQ PDF document. You'll find the reference information useful.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Your 1937 S/42 code Luger is an early 2nd. Variation transitional example, in the "u" letter suffix block...

In early 1937, the Mauser - produced Parabellum went from a Rust - blued, strawed - small parts pistol, to an all - blued "Hot - salt blue" manufacturing process, to expedite manufacture, and also reduce costs...

This process started mostly in the letter suffix block before yours...in the "t" block...approximately 10,000 pistols were manufactured in each letter suffix block...a little over 127,000 Lugers, in total, were manufactured in 1937...

Very nice example you have there, in the "u" block...Congrats...

Edward

1 - 7 of 7 Posts