Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Here are two more Red Nine serial numbers to report 876 & 135259. The 135259 is in near mint condition both Red Nines can be view at this link. http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=315140#Post315140 After reviewing this thread looks like 135259 has been reported. BTW I did not see my Red Nine serial number reported on this thread it is 139508 which is the highest I've seen so far.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Thank you Dow, always nice to get more specimens. Cannot open picture for 876, with field nine described, would like grove number if possible. And your 139508 has usual 23 grove grips?
B Regds, John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased this Red 9 a while back. Started looking closely at some details that seemed non-standard, and started to suspect I had been ripped off by a counterfeiter. The two most worrisome features, to my mind, were the grips with "9" that doesn't curve all the way and end in a "blob" at the end of the 9; and the lack of a notch in the magazine follower. But reading through this incredibly helpful thread, I am pretty confident that this is an early 9 with battlefield grips. The grips have 30 lines on each side (30/30). It is serial number 3527. All numbers on every part match (truncated to 527 where necessary). It has no Prussian eagle on the front of the magazine as far as I can tell. It looks to have been polished and reblued, but all the letters and figures are still deep and crisp. I 3d printed parts that slip on non-invasively to dress it up as a Han Solo blaster that cycles just fine with parts attached. Good hidden-in-plain-sight backup gun for an office.... Thanks!

FullSizeRender (3).jpg FullSizeRender (6).jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg FullSizeRender (5).jpg IMG_3941.jpg

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
The 3527 serial number on the chamber bothers me with the uneven spacing and the number fonts don't appear to be of the period. Are the rest of the serial numbers in the same font?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, the font and the numbers are the same throughout the pistol. All the photos I have seen of Red 9s, and especially the early ones, seem to have this curly font and somewhat crooked numbers. Not SIG P210 stamping, that's for sure. It is stamped on a few internal parts, too. Close inspection of all the numbered areas and of the sight ramp shows no evidence of tampering. That faint line under the serial number on the chamber is just a streak in the oil where I took off the Han Solo barrel shroud.

IMG_4012.jpg

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Thanks Schnee, looks like an original worked-over old soldier, that retained its 50-500 sight, (frequently salvaged), has a field applied 9 (very fat/wide vs. originals), and missing a routed follower (a 50% chance IMHO ). A Prussian eagle would be very unusual on this one, as they are clustered in the 80k-100k red 9 serial range (see table p4). Per Dows comment, the surfeit in number “5” is awful fancy, however that same font is seen in red nine serial 175 (enclosed).

B Regds, John

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Now I am on the hunt for early "5" stamps. The pistol pictured back in post #189 of this thread is an early 9, SN 1978. The "9" stamped on that pistol has a similar surfeit (thanks for the vocab lesson).
IMG_6290.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
The archives at collectorsfirearms (sold items) is a pretty good resource for this. Found an early gun (5179) with the same surfeit on the "5." This would seem dispositive that there were different stamps for the early guns. Obsessing over serial numbers on Red 9s, I start to think I see the same surfeit on some later guns, appearing on the bolt or hammer but not on the chamber area. Wonder if this was the same set of punches, but it wore down over time or punched to different depths on different grades of steel on different parts of the guns.

PR17298e__45530.jpg PR17298a__14874.jpg PR17298f__66713.jpg PR17298c__62317.jpg

·
Registered
404 Posts
My Red 9... 34.5k SN, 31/31

·
Registered
404 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure. I was told it was field applied, but do you have a pic handy showing the difference?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
No problem, just look thru this topic and you will find lots of pictures showing both
John

·
Registered
404 Posts
Jcoe,

The Red9 in question is actually the post at the top of this subforum. If you care to weigh in on my question of the finish's originality that would be much appreciated! But I compared it to a couple other pictures and the '9' appears to be done in the field :)

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Thanks Alex, confused with your 34.5 designation vrs 37238 is correct serial? Grip style and field nine is appropriate, however one is impressed with the discrepancy of condition i.e. obviously worn grips on a pristine gun. Are the grips matching? IMHO original finish decisions using pictures are difficult considering the talent out there. What does the imperial proof look like?
B Regds, John

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guessed on the SN# going off of memory; I was wrong. I will take a picture of the imperial proof as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently acquired this C96, Red Nine, all numbers matching. It has the eagle on the magazine well and is 24/24 for grooves. The grips are numbered to the gun, although the numbers are almost not visible on one side as it seems someone sanded part of the inside of the grip off.

Still have to learn about the other markings on these. I was wondering though, is the follower supposed to have a SN?

Sean

96689.jpg

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
What is the serial number? need more pics to help you on what you have. I'm assuming the eagle on the magazine well is the Prussian Eagle property mark?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have never seen a serial number on a red 9 follower. Often the follower will have a dish cut on the top surface to facilitate the loading of the larger 9mm cartridge.
Tim H.

201 - 220 of 247 Posts