Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been shopping for guns for a couple of years, doing more about getting a farm ready for retirement but this was one I stumbled across and when I did some asking seems there was enough history that I decided to add it to my small group of High powers from the war. William Kearney passed away in 1997 but apparently until his wife passed away late last year and the children were given access to the estate this and the paperwork remained locked away. They offered the gun for sale but it was just another High Power from the war and I really wasn't that interested for the price they had it for. When I questioned about where it came from a wealth of information started to pour out before the estate sale took place. With that said I present Lt William (Mike) Kearneys war trophy. I do not know when or where he acquired it but he was apparently in supply so it could have been at any point.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Groupings like this don't come along very often. What a special and historical piece. Appreciate you sharing and the nice presentation.

I should add, it was nice to be a lieutenant and be able to sign your own capture certificate!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I acquired about 50 photos total, most random or of blown up buildings. William is in about ten of them. This one is dated on the back Belgium April 1945.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
what an awesome grouping. I love how the documents refer to it as a "Belgium 38" LOL. Lord only knows where they came up with that one. Anthony is constantly correcting people who say Hi Power instead of High Power, I can just imagine what he would have said to the officer who called it a Belgium 38 LOL. Luckily they also included the serial number to actually prove they are indeed referring to the same gun. congrats in a great pickup and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great provenance. That .38 reference is one of the signs of period correct documentation. I see too specific and modern terminology used on some of the fake ones.

BTW: as a conservator, I need to mention that the plastic pouch that certificate is in, is quite harmful to old papers.

Anthony

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anthony what is the best way to store them? Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I personally use archival quality paper and archival quality sleeves. Art stores generally have them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally use archival quality paper and archival quality sleeves. Art stores generally have them.
Thanks, I'll check the local arts and craft store, hobby lobby.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Anthony what is the best way to store them? Thanks for the comments.
Sorry working long hours. I wrote an article about it many years ago and will try to find it for you. Indeed archival paper but not made in China or Asia as there are no standards. More soon.

Anthony

- - - Updated - - -

·
Registered
2,796 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts