Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1918 Erfurt that I have replaced the missing Hold Open spring. Problem is the hold open does not appear to raise enough to engage?? Tried a number of magazines to see if this was the problem no luck. Ideas??

·
Registered
245 Posts
JohnPGI,

The spring you are talking about holds the hold open down. It could be this spring is too strong for the mag spring to overcome. Clean and oil the milled place where the hold open fits and check for free and easy travel of that part. Just a thought.

Geo.

·
Gold Bullet Member 2012
3,560 Posts
John,
It might also be a wear problem. Try putting an empty magazine in the gun, press the magazine against your knee and pull the toggle back. If the hold-open engages, it might be wear on the magazine catch or the hold-open itself.
Pat

·
Registered
968 Posts
I have hit this issue on several shooters. IMO the hold open is simply a finicky part, in that visually imperceptible variations can result in non-function. As Pat mentions, first try different magazines.

When I have a pistol that won't hold open, and magazine substitution doesn't work, I substitute another hold open until I find one that works, then try to figure why via inspection usually with magnification. Some hold-opens work in some guns but not others. I've polished a couple at wear points, resulting in better function. If it is missing metal somewhere it's usually cheaper to simply substitute a replacement hold-open rather than try precision welding to add metal.

·
Administrator
13,644 Posts
I’ve got a Luger missing the flat spring. Are the hard to find or common? Tough to install? Thanks, Skip
They are easy and difficult, here's why. What I do is take the spring and align it so its head (a slightly different shaped part of the spring) and gently get it aligned and using a pair of pliers, squeeze the two together and it usually seats all the way. Then when installing it, use a little pressure and push it into place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts