Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I've missed a posted note somewhere on this sight, but I did a search and didn't find much info. What's the best thing to clean a 60 year old holster? Is saddlesoap o.k. for an initial cleaning then something like Pecard's for continued use?

·
Administrator
15,090 Posts
Saddleosap will breakdown the leather. Jerry (lugerholsterrepair) is out on conv leave or he'd answer you.
I have heard good and bad about Pecards, Jerry says he doesn't like it, so I would go with that. Use less of anything, (if you use anythig) rather than more.

Ed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's the general thought amoung collectors, don't clean and don't use anything to preserve? I've heard Pecards, Lexol, wax, and nothing at all. I'm curious what museums use on high dollar items.

This holster has a musty smell and 60 years of dust gathered on it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,230 Posts
I clean with saddle soap and then treat with a product called Hide Food. Most folks do not use Pecards any longer. Hide Food can be had at your local Rolls Royce dealer or autogeek.com

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link. It seems everyone has their own and different opinion. I read on Lexol's website that they have their own leather cleaner as well as preservative. That might be worth a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.