Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a photo on eBay of a Paris Traffic Policeman directing traffic in front of one of the typical German wartime signposts, probably in the Place de la Concorde. Can anyone identify the holster, and therefore the pistol carried? It looks like a post war Browning pistol holster, sort of, but I know that cannot be correct. I close upped the holster in the below photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
The policeman's holster looks to me like this 1935-S holster, below, which Medlin and Doane identify as post-war (although your's has an extra metal-bit under the fastener loop)
........... but, German street signs certainly would not have been on display after the liberation !

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not an expert, but it looks like a FN 1900 holster ?
I think you are correct, I looked up a photo of one and it looks nearly the same, except this holster is black. I would guess maybe the French dyed or had their holsters made black. The impression on the flap is consistent with the double mag pouch under the flap of the Browning 1900 holster. Maybe Anthony would know more about whether the French police used the Browning 1900 as general issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research from Anthony's FN book and it appears the French police bought quantities of FN1910's for the police, both prior to and following WW2, and some are even Paris police marked. I would venture a guess the holster pictured probably is carrying a 1910. It also is cut more like the 1910 holster, however the metal strap retainer and plate differ from the pics in the FN book, both for the 1900 and 1910 holster, but maybe it's a variation. I would guess it's French produced, but then maybe not.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I think it will be difficult to identify as that pattern was common in France and used with several pistols. I think it is more in the size of a MAB-d which I am leaning towards. The FN Model 1922 was only purchased postwar for French law enforcement so that rules it out. I think this holster is too big for a Model 1900 or Model 1910, these may or may not have been in use in the 1940s as Paris Police purchased them before 1914. Personally I think, and have no evidence of this, that Paris was using domestic pistols in that time frame. I do not think that the FN's were still in use and were instead used in World War I, but have no proof.

What is surprising that he carries a pistol at all, assuming it is not an empty holster. The Germans were not so keen at arming regular cops.

Something to think about.
Anthony

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the entire photo. The holster does appear too large for a 1900 or 1910. At the time I bought it, I thought it might be a 1935A holster, but after getting it and expanding it, it does not look like the issue 1935A holster. The MAB D may be a better identification.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
''...What is surprising that he carries a pistol at all, assuming it is not an empty holster. The Germans were not so keen at arming regular cops.

Something to think about.
Anthony
In fact no, the Germans were greatly relieved to have LE duty performed by the local police in the occupied zone, and the Vichy regime police was greatly involved in the repression of resistance activities, even after the occupation of the southern ('' free'') zone after november 1942.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts