Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've got one, I'm wondering how the Long Luger Rig was ever used in combat. All those straps and flaps? Was the holster intended to hang off of the straps while in use? All the parts seems to be interconnected to each other somehow, so how did everything go together as a functional weapon without getting in the way? How was the German soldier armed with one of these supposed to react when the s--- hit the fan? Were they expected to have the gun assembled with the stock, and ready for use? Any information or opinions would be welcome.

·
Platinum Bullet member
6,233 Posts
The German soldier armed with an LP08 went to his duty station with the pistol fully prepared for action; there was no quick draw action.

By 1917 most LP08s were used as assault weapons by shock troops who got their s--t in order long before it was needed.

·
Silver Bullet Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron, Your sketch is pretty much how I see it. Thanks! Of course, the German soldier was a professional, and always ready for the occation, but I have wondered how the delt with a flapping 8" holster and all that other stuff during a assult. Now I know!

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Hi,

I'l entertain you with an expert's account written in 1922:

'Totally unpractical are holsters with stiff flaps, especially those which have flaps that are locked with a buckle strap. While one is busy loosening the buckle, opening the flap, and getting the pistol ready for fighting, one can be tranformed into a sieve by a better equipped advesary. We had to really annoy ourselves with these kind of holsters during the war (1st, gvv) as they were issued with the Pistole 08'

--Gerhard Bock, "Moderne Faustfeuerwaffen und Ihr Gebrauch", second edition, 1922.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The picture says it all - except for the major point that the holster remains attached to the stock and is not attached to the belt on belt loops (the wooden stock is never removed from the holster). Before action, the pistol is removed from the holster and clamped onto the stock (together with the holster). I can´t see the LP 08 as much of a success either - just one step on the way to the submachine gun.

Download Attachment: LP08.JPG
199.68KB

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
There ya go again. Hurting my feelings. Oh Well, I'll just consider the source and try to move on. :)

Thanks Tom, It's another trait that for some unknown reason runs in the family. My brother was a sign painter. And my daughter is working on her certification to be a Tattoo Artist. Don't ask me why. Cause I don't know, but she has been selling sketches to tattoo shops and is now going to become a "Tat-Artist". I guess a good one can clear $100 G's a year. That may be a good reason.
Ron

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Gerben,
Not to worry! I spent 4 years in the navy and came out unscathed(never could get that drunk). I'm too damned old to be sticking ink under my skin.

Patrick,
Thankyou for the compliment. I drew that in about 15 min. As soon as I saw the post, it hit me. Usually if I try to plan it. It does'nt come out as smoothly. I have been working on the idea of doing serious sketches of Imperial and Weimar soldiers using Lugers. Haven't had the time to settle down and start them.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
5,359 Posts
Ron,

I really think you should do a funny luger series as well. :) Really like the LP08 doodle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.