Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner

How rare is a JSB inspected 1911A1 Colt ?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mike radford 
#1 ·
Recently, a local gun shop picked up a 1911A1 Colt ser # 2361991, JSB inspected. Normally they sell me their C&R guns, but the owner hoards 1911s. He has no collector interest in them, he just hoards them.

When I told him that JSB was the last WWII inspector and only inspected the last 8,000 or so Colt 1911A1s. He was happy to hear that, but was mostly happy to have another 1911 in his case. I am supplying him with a correct barrel and 1 grip, but the basic gun is straight.

I would like to buy it, and may be able to trade for it. Does anyone have idea as to how rare they really are and a ball park value ?

#5 ·
The obscurity of the JSB and and ordnance stamp is of concern. It may be refinished. Check the feed ramp-- in the white? Check the stakings for the grip screw bushings---Finish loss?

My serial number was about 2000 later. When Chuck Clawson added to his known example serial list it was the 13th. They are widely known to be more rare than a Singer. I suspect the current list is about 20. I have handled another and it was a 10% pistol and very ugly. I know of 2 others owned by friends. Another friend listed one about 2 years ago for $25000, about an 85% gun and I am pretty sure he got the money. Another collector sold a poor one, refinished, only original parts were frame and slide, about 10 years ago, $5000.

- - - Updated - - -

The obscurity of the JSB and and ordnance stamp is of concern. It may be refinished. Check the feed ramp-- in the white? Check the stakings for the grip screw bushings---Finish loss?

My serial number was about 2000 later. When Chuck Clawson added to his known example serial list it was the 13th. They are widely known to be more rare than a Singer. I suspect the current list is about 20. I have handled another and it was a 10% pistol and very ugly. I know of 2 others owned by friends. Another friend listed one about 2 years ago for $2500, about an 85% gun and I am pretty sure he got the money. Another collector sold a poor one, refinished, only original parts were frame and slide, about 10 years ago, $5000.

#6 ·
Shayne,

I would go along with Mike's assessment of the gun but having it in hand is the best test so I would suggest you carefully inspect the points that Mike raised.

As far as value, there are not many transactions. About the only one I came up with is the $25,000 private sale a couple of years ago.

On another note, I heard today that the dean of the 1911 collecting community Chuck Clawson has passed away.

We will miss him. May he rest in peace.

John

#7 ·
J.S.B. are the initials of John S. Begley. He was a civilian (all other inspectors were military).He was the Army Inspector of Ordnance for the Springfield Ordnance District from July 15,1945--December 5 1945. His initials are found on Serial numbers 2360600 to the end of production.(Approx.)

Tom

#11 ·
CMP got a few, maybe 3 from what I have seen posted. At least one slipped out at regular price before they discovered their value.

Not all of the last 8000 pistols got JSB marked. GHD was mixed in thus their rarity.

The next look today, I feel sure it is refinished. The CMP auction may give the best value estimate since it is almost surely refinished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.