Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
2,186 Posts
Thanks Burgess, I have scaled the images to be about the same size and put them side by side, the correct marking is on the left.

Reactions: Hessian

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, - Thank you for posting the side by side. Scaling the marking is unfortunate, because that may be another inconsistency. The seller has repeatedly offered faked items as original, even after being informed the item is forged.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
IMO: It would be a benefit to all to have a sticky listing all the "questionable" sellers here.
Jim

·
2,186 Posts
Scaling the marking is unfortunate, because that may be another inconsistency.
Burgess - understood, unfortunately the "correct" shot that shows the marking with the slide upper and lower boundaries is much smaller. Here is another shot with the slides matched, showing the relative size of the markings. Sorry for the fuzziness, it's just a result of the size of the original images.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may be fuzzy but it clearly shows the proportions are off. Thank you Mark for these comparisons!

Regards,

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I agree completely with your comments, Burgess. If this is what you do full time, then you should know your sh%$. There are other dealers that I will not name who know what they're selling and post the problem with their items. If you are not "absolutely" sure about your item, then don't list it! We are not talking about a little bit of money!
Joe

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joseph,

This is just a hobby for me and all I collect are Mausers. Mainly the pocket and vest pocket models. I check the auction sites often and the main ones daily, when possible. When I see a turd I like to let everyone know so know one steps in it. If those who know are willing to point out these frauds maybe the dealers will be more careful about what they list and buy. Maybe we will stop seeing them offered and maybe we will keep the new collector from being discouraged because someone took advantage of them. "You may call me a dreamer but I am not the only one!" (Lennon).

Regards,

·
Registered
166 Posts
Burgess,

I am so glad you posted this from Gunbroker, saw that and could not believe how that spurious Navy marking has carried over from the HSc and now to the 1934. SAD One can easily see from the correct naval marking which has been pantographed and the other has been engraved. With the E/M on the left slide there is always a N property number on the front grip strap. I have never seen a Mauser 1934 E/M on the left side which does not have a N or a N with a number on the front grip strap. Another M-1934 commercial ruined for profit.

Bob

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Thanks again for another informative post. It does help having the two side by side for comparison even if fuzzy. I agree, it is concerning in regards to this, I actually think this gun came up before.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
The s/n of the two are 40 thousand away. Probably procured in different years. So Legacy's statement "these were individually engraved by the Naval depot so we assume ..." is not nonsense.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Burgess,

I am so glad you posted this from Gunbroker, saw that and could not believe how that spurious Navy marking has carried over from the HSc and now to the 1934. SAD One can easily see from the correct naval marking which has been pantographed and the other has been engraved. With the E/M on the left slide there is always a N property number on the front grip strap. I have never seen a Mauser 1934 E/M on the left side which does not have a N or a N with a number on the front grip strap. Another M-1934 commercial ruined for profit.

Bob
Bob,

Actually both were engraved with a pantograph engraving machine, however the template used to create the fake differs from the original template and it appears a different type of cutting tip was used. The missing fleet number is a huge clue but there are several variations and unique KM examples. It is difficult for me to go into detail with what is wrong without providing a lesson that a faker could use to improve their work so I will stop at what has already been mentioned. I am pleased that the membership appreciates this post which is intended only to teach everyone to study the details and not be fooled.

Regards,

Regards,

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
One immediate sign that something may be "wrong" with an item, is that, if it is legit, why isn't it on their website? I know of at least one other dealer who does the same thing. Everything good hits the website, GB is used for the "crap".

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
I have had good dealings with Legacy. If there was problem (one time), the item was returned with no questions asked. I will most likely buy from them again.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
And if a "turd" is sold on their web site, they will smartly not include it in their Archive-Sales section. Or empty out all the photos from the ad.

I have watched one particular gun that was initially advertised and sold as original but turned out to be a refinished gun. When that truth came out 4 months after the buy, the seller left his "sold" ad on their web site, but rewrote the description of the gun as "professionally restored" and the asking price shown in the sold ad dropped by nearly $ 2K, too.

Some of these outfits are truly "sly"...

·
Moderator - Diamond Bullet Member
German Navy 1848 -1918
2,733 Posts
I made this excellent thread a sticky. I also deleted off topic comments and comments about off topic comments.
Alvin: If you find a subject uninteresting the solution is to stop reading it, not try and yank it in anothe direction.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Actually, I was perfectly in the direction in the context of this particular thread.

Comparison side by side is a powerful method. Collector experience (I mean, based on samples, not based on provenance) mainly came from side by side comparison. No matter it's regarding finish, markings, variations, etc, study sample details carefully side by side is the way to go. But there is a trap, the comparison should be performed among narrow range items. That's the only hole in this thread.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts