Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Try 2 - I hope the pics come out better in this one..)

Browning Hi-Power Nazi Marked – serial number 93716a

Overall condition is about 40-50%, with light surface pitting overall. The grips, as being original, are worn as well. This was a field piece that, based on the holster fitting alone, perhaps was issued as a Police Rig (see the closure). However, I’m posting this as much for informational value to other collectors, as I am for information that may be offered by other collectors on this piece.

Right side: I apologize for the slight reflection center, but to bring out the proofs and markings, I had to use a fairly strong light.
Download Attachment: 1right.jpg
49.86 KB

The right side detail: Serialization on the barrel hood, slide and frame. On the right forward trigger guard, it appears as a lightly struck “F”
Download Attachment: 2-ne-right-proofs.jpg
159.82 KB

The left side: In the same condition as the right. Notice the very rough machining marks rather then any attempt to “polish” the firearm before being blued.
Download Attachment: 3-left.jpg
70.09 KB

The Left Slide Proofs/stamps: WaA140 with the Eagle
Download Attachment: 4-ne-left-slide-proofs.jpg
64.56 KB

The Left Side Frame Proofs/stamps: WaA140 with the Eagle
Download Attachment: 5-ne-left-frame-proofs.jpg
122.83 KB

Barrel Hood and barrel lug: Eagle over the serial number, including the letter suffix on the hood, while the lug has a partial stamp, appearing as a partially boxed “1 (and following number)
Download Attachment: 6-ne-bbl-proofs.jpg
68.78 KB

Download Attachment: 7-barrel-lug.jpg
52.62 KB

Marking on muzzle end of slide: Again WaA140
Download Attachment: 15slide-end-proof.jpg
172.8 KB

Holster: Following the typical HP “open” holster pattern, the interesting aspect is the closure, which is a Police style, rather then the military designed closure. Being brown pebble-grained exterior, it is smooth inside and is marked by the manufacturers code “jkh” (Karl Busse, Fabrik für Ausrüstungen aus Stoff u. Leder, Kurfürstenstr. 11, Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz). Karl Busse apparently made holsters for the HP in 1943-44 (I need to find my sources for this information, but this is noted in my notes).

Download Attachment: 8-holster.jpg
82.06 KB

Download Attachment: 9-holster-open.jpg
53.75 KB

Download Attachment: 11ne-holstermarks.jpg
148.22 KB

Details of closing stud:
Download Attachment: 10-holster-closure.jpg
61.11 KB

The full RIG:

Download Attachment: 12-final.jpg
153.5 KB

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The Hi-Power is the standard type for that period of time. (Standard as to markings, machining & finish.)

The holster is a standard German military Hi-Power holster.

No Hi-Powers are known to have been issued to the police.

Very good photo work. I wish I could do as well.

Very logical presentation.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
When I made my first reply I had not had an opportunity to check my holster data. On reviewing same, I noted that Karl Busse manufactured Hi-Power holsters in 1941, 1942, 1943, & 1944.

1941, 1942 & 1943 were two digit dates.

1944 was only a single digit (which your holster appears to be).

All four years had the WaA 286 marking.

I did not see this marking in your photos, but I have found that it can be hard to find on pebble-grain type holsters.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Charlie,

My thanks for all your assistance on this - and your comments! Let me take a good look on the holster tomorrow in the daylight. I just tried to find it under the room light - but either I'm tired (or old - but I'll go with my first reply - "tired" )

My sincerest thanks again for your comments and feedback!

- John

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Jan!

As well, Charlie, I had the chance to study the holster in the daylight, but did not find the WaA 286 marking. While the rear flap, after the loop and beginning at the manuufacturer's mark, shows wear and is worn almost to a "polished" appearance where it would have contacted the wearers belt, I can't see any remenants of the associated mark. I also looked under the flap, inside the holster and under the loop.

However, as a side note - I also want to again offer my sincere thank you for all of your assistance on this piece. Not being an HP collector, your comments have certainly assisted me and others. As well, I also learned that Karl Busse made HP holsters previous then what I had originally thought, and that this RIG would be a military issue. My thanks for sharing your knowledge, Charlie...!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
On pebble grain type holsters the markings are hard to see at the best of times. I have noticed that the marking sometimes are very light, so with wear they could vanish altogether. The WaA markings generally seem to be a loghter strike that the oother markings.

As to Karl Busse, he also made Hi-Power holsters in 1943 and 1944 that were only brown leather & not pebble grain.

As for answering questions, I have asked a lot of them in the past and still do for that matter. So I don't mind trying to help others out.

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,688 Posts
John D. and Charlie. On several of my HP Holsters, the Waffenamt (WaA286) is stamped on the inside of the flap to the left of the leather disc that covers the inside edge of the closure stud. Som e holsters are pretty well dirty or scuffed in there so it is hard to read. One of mine is absolutely clear!! Hope this helps!!

Dave

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
The mfg marking & date and the WaA marking appears in one of three places. Many are seen on the little front flap that has the closure strap, inside of the main flap, and/or on the rear.

Most of the time these markings are together, but that are a goodly number of instances where they are separated. For example: one on the rear and the other on the insdie of the flap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts