Jan C. Still Lugerforums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an HSc ser# 746942 proofed E/135. From what I can gather it was manufactured in late 1940 or early 1941? It has after market grips.
What years were plastic or bakelite grips used. I have located a set and wondering if they would be proper on this pistol?
Or if someone has a set of original walnut grips to sell. Let me know.
Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Based on printed references and databases, it appears that plastic composition grips first appeared on the HSc in the mid to higher 800,000 serials. Almost certainly your early Army pistol should have the walnut checkered grips.

Orv Reichert referred another collector also seeking grips to:

Tom Heller
636-447-3006
[email protected]

John Raum
330-699-0153
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peter,
Thankyou for the information. I am the one that Orv gave the referal to. I am looking every place possible for a set of grips.
The pistol is in 95%? condition, and has genuine Ivory grips on it.
I want to replace them with originals, and put the Ivory grips away.
Am I correct about the year of manufacture?

Thanks, Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Your Army procured pistol (746942) was produced in very late 1941. Production in 1942 began with approx 749270, and according to a large database the first reported</u> 1942 HSc is 749645. Interestingly, the very next serial number reported after yours (746943)is a Police proofed E/L!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peter,
Now you have me curious. I have not received the pistol yet. I am just relying on the sellers discription and a poor photo. Where are you referencing the information?

Will post photos when it arrives. Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ron,
Good for you for asking about sources! I have some documents from an old timer who was at the Mauser factory in Oberndorf...and who was a good friend of Alex Seidel, the designer of the HSc. Plus, I share a large database with another advanced HSc collector.
Peter

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peter,

Wow! Inside information, you are lucky to have it. As much as the HSc's fascinate me. I have owned only one over the years. A very beat up military that I bought for $75. It was stolen out of my fishing tackle box while on a camping trip in 1975. Ron

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ron:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it insider information...just fortunate to have made the contact several years ago and obtained some good material. Plus networking with great HSc collectors!
The HSc is becoming an ever increasingly popular collectible among German WWII pistol collectors. German WWII HSc's in the U.S. are generally honest vet bring-backs. However, many post-war pistols assembled by the French occupation forces were imported in the mid-90's, many of which utilized German parts produced before "peace broke out"
Happy Thanksgiving!
Peter

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The same to you Peter. Happy Thanksgiving!

Ron

One more thing. Would there be any stamps on the trigger guard web, in front of the grip strap on standard issue HSc's? The E/135 is usually stamped on the frame above the trigger is'nt it? The poor photo I have shows something stamped on the web. Could it be anything besides an E/L? Can't make it out.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
To throw in my two-bits in case you were not aware of this, the only difference between a Mauser Hsc in .32ACP & .380ACP is the barrel. I own a post war Hsc and purchased a .32ACP barrel from Interarms many years ago. Kinda neat to have a pistol that fires two types of ammunition.

I was surprised that it even uses the same magazine. The manual that came with my post was Hsc it has an exploded view the only different item between the two calibers is the barrel.

Have a Great Thanksgiving,

George

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ron:

An HSc with an additional "proof" on the left trigger web is shown on p.175 of Still's Axis Pistols on a Navy proofed pistol. According to Still, this is the only such HSc so reported.

Another HSc with an unusual marking on the left side front trigger web is shown on p.233 of Pender's book Mauser Pocket Pistols. This pistol bears a Norwegian Military acceptance proof. Post-war?

Army procured pistols, with an Eagle/655, Eagle/135, or Eagle/WaA135, have not appeared with any "proofs" on the front trigger web. Perhaps the mark you see on your photo is some sort of damage to the surface...(?) A closeup photo would be useful.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ron:
A military procured or accepted HSc will have the acceptance stamp, such as E/135 at the rear of the trigger guard on the left side, not on the frame above the trigger.
In your first post you said that the pistol you bought had an E/135 (Army) stamping. In a later message you mentioned E/L which indicates a police procured pistol. A possible third stamping at that location could be a small Eagle/M+111/3, signifying a later war Naval acceptance. If that location has no stamping, and there is no large Eagle/M on the front grip strap above the serial number, then it is a commercial pistol, which were produced through most of the war.
I hope I haven't missed the point of your question.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Correct. The seller said it was stamped with E/135. However, I was thinking that the E/135 was located on the frame, left side, above the trigger. Evidently, the E/135 is what is on the rear trigger guard web.
I tried to enhance the photo so I could see it, but the photo is too course.
I should have the pistol by the first of next week.

Ron

G

·
Ron,

I might be the other person in this world looking for a set of Walnut grips for my HSc. Mine has a serial # of 847092 and presently has a set of walnut grips that comes with the Interarms .380 you see forsale on Gunbroker or Auction Arms. Other than the grips the pistol is in great shape and all matching.

George

·
Registered
17 Posts
mark

maybe you can help me with my mauser HSC serial #896869, it has black bakelite grips, and it is all phosphate in side and out. on the left side front trigger web is mark E/L. in still's axis pistols he said it is second variation police with three large lines, my HSC doesn't have the lines. and the clip has mauser logo on the bottom, would you have any idea why mine is phosphate and has no line on the left side.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Mark,
Would'nt want to donate a set of grips off of one of those, would you? I don't know how lucky I am. I can't find any grips to replace those Japanese cathouse specials. They are kind of neat, but don't belong on an HSc. The dealer said that a holster and spare mag. is included in the deal. The strange thing is that it's from a gun shop about 150 mi east of here, in Redmond, OR.
Thanks,Ron

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.